Hello There, Guest!

04-10-2009, 09:03 PM | Post: #1
FlamesOfOblivion 
I have been looking at some of the videos of the week and noticed that they are mostly just frag videos. To help the community here are some steps good film makers use to make a meaningful and good film.

Steps for making a good film-

1. A Good Idea-
Virtually anything you create has to start with a good idea. Otherwise you just end up wasting your, and others time.

Once you have the idea it's onto the Pre-Production stage.

2. Pre-Production-
This is the stage that takes place before you start filming your movie (or moving into Production as it's called). This is where you focus and refine your ideas as well as get all the technical things planned out beforehand. While in Pre-Production it's typical to create-
  • A Script- What will be said, what is shown, Special effects that will be used, and any Audio notes. This be anything from a piece of paper with scribbles, or a Document made in Microsoft Word or Adobe Indesign.
  • Storyboards- Plan out the shots and action with a series of pictures or even doodles. It helps you visualize each and every shot so your video has a tidy look to it.
  • Production Schedule- If you're working with others you can get everything scheduled so people know filming dates.

Exclamation"What is the point in doing any of this?" Well, as you continue you'll find that doing this prep will pay off because you just have to follow a laid out plan vs. improvising it all.

3. Production-
Once you are satisfied with your story and plans it is time to move onto production, which is where all the acting and filming takes place.

This will require the following elements-
  • A Video Capture Device- Find a software you are comfortable with and run's well on your computer
  • Actors- People that will act out or provide Voice Overs for your film. These can be just random people ingame, or people you chose beforehand. If you are low on actors make a New Topic in Videos
  • Patience- If you and your friends populate an empty server matchmaking will start placing other players onto your server who DO NOT COOPERATE and continue to kill and interrupt your video process. Take a deep breath, squish an anxiety or anger ball, play "Don't Worry Be Happy", or listen to some Bob Marley.

Once you've gotten everyone ingame and fired up your Video Capture Device it's time to start taping. The nice thing is you just follow your script/storyboard as it is the roadmap for reaching your destination, an awesome video (And it's quicker than asking for directions).

Once you've captured everything you wanted it's time to move it over to Post-Production.

4. Post-Production-

This is where it all comes together. Where things are added at the last minute. Or lost at the last minute. Where Hours are spent. And Coffee is Consumed (I personally prefer tea myself...). Welcome to the magical world of [Image: postproduct.gif]

For this step you'll need some Video Editing Software. This is the software that will bring all of your audio, video footage, and special effects together and form the final product.

Use your script/storyboard to place all of your footage into the timeline and place it in Chronological order and make your Movie as scriptlike as possible.

Now you just need to export your video and share with the world!
(This post was last modified: 16-09-2010 10:12 PM by FlamesOfOblivion.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2009, 05:55 AM | Post: #2
FlamesOfOblivion 
Resources-

Script Examples-
Billy May's Sells Punkbuster (Mr. Man Productions)
Little Tortilla Boy (My Video)

What I Use-
Wegame to record footage.
Sony Vegas Platinum 9 to Edit Video
Tracktion 3 (by Mackie) to Edit Audio
Adobe Photoshop to Create all Graphics
Microsoft Word to Create Scipts
Little Tortilla Boy (A Video I made)

Stress Related Resources-
Stress Balls
Bobby McFerrin-"Don't Worry Be Happy"
Some Bob Marley Tunes

DigitalPh33r's Guide to Making Machinima
Though he uses Halo 3 as his Engine many of his tips apply into all machinima. At least watch for some lols are to learn something new.
-Part One
-Part Two
-Part Three
-Part Four
-Part Five
-Part Six

(This post was last modified: 06-10-2009 06:08 AM by FlamesOfOblivion.)
06-10-2009, 05:57 AM | Post: #3
waterwolf 
Cool. Just what I needed Smile
Find all posts by this user
08-11-2009, 11:14 AM | Post: #4
AndytheKiller 
Your video where really AWSOME!!!!
Tell me if you need some1 to play in your one of your movies somethimes Tongue

[Image: madebylidalgo.png]

It may not be beer, but it's still brewed by Lidalgo
My profiles: ImageShack, Twitter, BF:H, X-fire
(29-12-2009 09:07 PM)Ballin2much Wrote:  Rofl
In b4 more comments from people telling you theres already threads exactly like this
Support the unlockable-skin idea!!!

My ego is too big for the forum-rules Smile
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2009 11:14 AM by AndytheKiller.)
09-11-2009, 02:39 AM | Post: #5
FlamesOfOblivion 
(08-11-2009 11:14 AM)AndytheKiller Wrote:  Your video where really AWSOME!!!!

Will do. But your comment would be more appropriate on the actual video discussion

(This post was last modified: 09-11-2009 02:40 AM by FlamesOfOblivion.)
18-11-2009, 01:35 AM | Post: #6
Nameless Sniper 
Slightly off-topic

Does Sony Vegas support quicktime?

I am The Nameless Sniper and I approve this message™
[Image: speedgun_sig_814.png]

Former Community Moderator | Twitter | Signature Gallery | Steam | YouTube | Send me a PM

30-03-2010, 06:06 PM | Post: #7
Tapple 
Well just tell me when u wanna make a new film i really wanna be in it Big Grin. Car stunts, a history or exactly what you want Smile and by the way Add me Big Grin

[Image: 8]
30-03-2010, 06:08 PM | Post: #8
Tapple 
(08-11-2009 11:14 AM)AndytheKiller Wrote:  Your video where really AWSOME!!!!

And by the way are you Andythekiller norwegian ? Big Grin. Ej e norsk også Big Grin. Add meg Smile

[Image: 8]
24-02-2011, 07:40 AM | Post: #9
DominiEmpri 
if only i had any of these programs Tongue

More QQ and more Pew Pew... ur only doing one of them plz finish and do the 2ndt....