Hello There, Guest!

25-07-2009, 08:08 PM | Post: #1
Acetonium 
[Image: contacpqp.png]

[Image: NewGimp-Howtouse.png]

*Christmas update 24.12.2009: How to make borders*
*last update 09.06.2010: How to make borders - videos added*

First of all, everything in the tutorial has been given a number indicating the level of difficulty. There are three levels which mean the following.
  • Difficulty level 1 - This is basic GIMPing, something that is good to begin with.
  • Difficulty level 2 - This is a level for those who have learned how to GIMP in general.
  • Difficulty level 3 - This level is for those who already know a lot about GIMP and maybe are just looking for new ways of using known techniques.

I try to make the tutorial as simple as possible. This means that level 2 people should actually be able to do level 3 editing. The only actual problem would be if one does not master the tutorial language, English. Therefore I advice everyone who has not changed the language in GIMP to english to do it. I will not be able to give advice if the problem is in the language.

Other things that will help you expressing your artistic self:
On the forums every post can contain 5 pictures at most. This means that I can't put every picture (screenshot) into the tutorial but that some clues will have to remain links.
Links to picture that will help you will be show in green. (Other links are shown in red, just as usually.)

Sometimes people may wonder where the thing I'm referring to is found in GIMP. For example when I advice you 'to use the Move Tool'. From now on Tools will get their own color, blue. You may also find blue text that does not say "Tool", in those cases, the blue text indicates that a tool is the easiest way to do "it". Example: "Extend the width of the image." means that the Scale Tool should be used.
If you're supposed to use a tool from the tool menu, it will be shown in blue. (the tool menu/toolbox is shown below)
[Image: toolmenu.png]

Notice that the tool keyboard commands are shown after the tool. Example: Scale tool (Shift+T)

If you need a filter you propably need to use an effect of some kind. Filters is located on the main menu. Everything that refers to the main menu will be shown like this.
Examples: Filters > Blur > Blur, Select > Grow (picture below = the main menu)
[Image: toolmenu2.png]

If any new phrases appear in the tutorial it will be given a color to make it recognizeable. However, if you think there is something that has not been mentioned, please tell me.
(This post was last modified: 29-07-2010 12:11 PM by Acetonium.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-07-2009, 08:09 PM | Post: #2
Acetonium 
[Image: gimpthetutorial.png]

1. Text [Difficulty level 1]
A. Select the Text Tool (T) in the toolbox. write the name of your hero or what ever you want to write.
picture

B. right click on the text layer showed in the layers window and choose text to selection. You see the text is selected. Then choose Select > feather. in my example i used 7px feathering. After feathering choose Select > shrink. I used a 3px shrink. now create a new layer by choosing Layer > new layer. Make sure the new layer is transparent and that it is above the text layer. If you've done all this all you have to do now is to choose a nice color and paint (P) the selection in that color. make sure you paint in the new layer.

C. Now we'll add a nice looking shadow to the text. it's easily done by selecting filters > light and shadow > drop shadow. Make sure your text layer is selected.
shadow settings picture
the settings shown in the picture are good for a normal shadow, feel free to use your imagination though.

D. To finish with, let's add an outline to the text. Create a new layer under your text layer. Then select your text again and grow (i used 3px). Paint (P) with a nice color, voila.
[Image: textt.png]

NOTE: I used quite a big text to make it more visible, for smaller texts you may have to use different settings than the ones i chose, or just make everything big size and make it smaller using the Scale Tool (Shift+T).
Other facts (my text): Arial Bold Condensed, size 116px.

2. Borders [Difficulty level 1]

simple border: go to filters > decor > add border...
here you can change the color and the size of the border: for a regular, nice looking border choose the settings showed in the picture.
NOTE: The border will increase the canvas size (make the image bigger). If you intend to make a signature, make sure the image is not too big.

fancy looking border: go to filters > decor > fuzzy border... choose the settings you like and test your way to a perfect fuzzy border. The default settings are good in most cases (make the size of the border a little smaller though).
[Image: borders1.png]
NOTE: The border will allways appear along the picture edges (canvas), It will not appear around the selected layer, e.g. text.

3. simple way to smoothly merge two pictures [Difficulty level 1]

A. place the pictures in two different layers, you may delete a part of the upper picture using the Free Select Tool (F) (lasso) to make a non-vertical border.
Select the Eraser Tool (Shift+E) and a circle fuzzy brush and make it big.
eraser settings picture
erase along the border between the pictures, make sure you have selected the upper layer. B. Click the line starting spot and hold shift to make a perfect straight line.
C. done.
[Image: SimpleSmooth.png]

ACETONIUM'S GIMP TUTORIAL

(This post was last modified: 21-03-2010 06:36 PM by Acetonium.)
25-07-2009, 08:10 PM | Post: #3
Acetonium 
4. Signature Borders [Difficulty Level 1]

A lot of people have seen the difference between signatures without a border, and the signatures that have a border. The difference is huge.
There are many types of borders, the most common one here on the forums is a simple border of white and black. It works for most signatures because of the simplicity.

[Image: 000withwithout.png]

Simple black and white border

Rounded corners: First, open up the image that you would like to have as the background, it may look like this, but it may also be a complete signature that is only missing a border.
After finding the right image. Right click the background image layer and click Alpha To Selection. Then go to Select > Grow (grow by 3px). Then make a new layer Layer > New Layer... and place the new layer under the background image.

Finally, in the new layer, choose the Bucket Fill Tool (Shift+B) and fill the selection with black (just click inside the selection). Then Select > Shrink (2px) and fill the new selection with white.
And you're done!
[Image: rounded3.png]

NOTICE! This method (rounded corners) also works for signatures with irregular shapes, like plane or car shaped signatures. For a car shaped signature, do as told above, it's just that the rounded rectangle is a car now.

Sharp corners: Making sharp corners is a little more tricky since growing selections that have sharp edges will make the edges round. Therefore the technique used for sharp corners isn't exactly the same as for rounded ones.

First, just like for rounded corners: open your rectangular background in gimp, it may look like this but it may also be a complete rectangular signature. Now right click on your rectangular background and click Alpha To Selection. The Select > Grow (3px).

Make a new layer Layer > New Layer... Then, while in the new layer, choose Layer > Crop To Selection. Deselect: Select > None.
Now in your new, cropped layer, using the Bucket Fill Tool (Shift+B), fill the layer with black. Then right click on the layer, Select > Shrink (2px) and fill the newly shrinked selection with white.
Finally, make sure that this new layer is underneath the background (screenshot) in the Layers Dialog.

[Image: sharp3.png]

[Image: Video.png]

Video - Borders

For best quality, watch in HD and full screen!

Three videos that show how to do the simple but stylish BFH style border in Gimp.
  • You can do a Rectangular Border (video 1), a simple but cool shape.
  • You can do a Rounded Border (video 2), a shape a little more interesting, widely used.
  • You can also do your own Custom Shape! (video 3) This shape could be a weapon or a vehicle, anything you want!

Rectangular Border
Rounded Border
Custom Border

CLICK THE IMAGES TO WATCH THE VIDEOS!

(This post was last modified: 09-06-2010 07:13 PM by Acetonium.)
08-08-2009, 06:37 PM | Post: #4
Acetonium 
5. Your own BFH style text [Difficulty level 3]

Before you begin: Remember that the words best suited for this are short ones (3-5 letters) with one 'o' which is also the reason i chose to make the example on the word Cyblos.
You'll find everything you need in this post, if there's anything you don't understand this is too advanced for you, in that case you should begin making something easier.
Green links are pictures to make things easier to understand.
Here's the font you'll need: Century Gothic Bold
And here's the pattern: Camouflage pattern

Open a new image. Write your text with the following settings: Font: Century Gothic Bold, Size: 240px, letter spacing: -12. The color doesn't matter. Right click on your text layer and choose Text to Selection, then click Select > Grow (3px). Next up is making sharper edges as the growing made the letter edges round. Hold shift while using the Free Select Tool (F) (lasso) to make edges sharp. Paint the selection with a brush.

After you've done this use the Bucket Fill Tool (Shift+B) and choose the fill type 'pattern fill' and fill the selection with the camouflage pattern. After it's filled blur it Filters > Blur > Blur.
Select your text (Alpha to Selection) and open a new layer above the text layer. Do a white to transparent blend (L) (right to left) and set the layer mode to overlay and the opacity to 80%.
[Image: blend.png]

Right click on the camo' layer and use Alpha to Selection. Select > Grow (5px) Paint the selection white (in a new layer) and move the layer under the camo' text.

Nice one, you're half way trough!

Now we'll add some irregularities to the white area around the text. The easiest way to do it is to select the white (Alpha to selection) and add some irregularities all over the selection with the Free Select Tool (F). Just hold shift while clicking the first point to add to the current (the 5px white border) selection.
IMPORTANT: this could either make or break your image so be careful not to do it too fast, it is although pretty easy stuff but to speed up to get done faster... is not an option.
After you're done, paint everything white. (Notice that you should fill the holes in some letters like 'b')

Now make a dublicate of your white layer and make it black (Colors > Invert). Stretch the black layer ~1% (Scale Tool (Shift+T)) and rotate it (Rotate Tool(Shift+R)) 1,5 degrees. Finally move the black layer a little to the right and just a little down (=adjust it the way it looks good).
NOTE: If you've got a long word you'll have to rotate it less and stretch it less, both actions are mainly used to give the last letter a nice shadow and it won't look good with the settings used above if the letters are many.

The 'o' is what makes the whole picture (you could use other letters too though) and it's actually simple to make it look BFHy if you've got the right splatter. Use this to make your text perfect. Resize (shift+T) the the splatter so that it matches with the inner part of the 'o' and just borrow the red dot in the middle from the original 'heroes text' (using the beloved copy-paste method). Of course you can make your own red dot by making a circle selection (E), filling with the camouflage pattern and coloring it red.

To finish off, use some of the various splatter brushes that I've given you links to (Links n' Stuff) and make some nice splatter around the last letter (both black and white). You can also use the 'o' splatter once more, rotate it (Shift+R) and remove the main part (middle) and put the rest around the 'o' to make more splatter there if you like (I did it, I just like splatter Smile)

And here's the result! Awesome job!
[Image: exampleCYBLOS.png]

OTHER EXAMPLES MADE BY ME:
ACETONIUM
DAILY HERO

[Image: Video.png]
Video, the BFH text.

for best quality, watch in HD and full screen.

Alternative video: (german)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KHILf-rdBE

(This post was last modified: 21-05-2010 04:35 PM by Acetonium.)
08-08-2009, 06:38 PM | Post: #5
Acetonium 
6. Making animations (.GIF) [Difficulty level 2]

Making .GIFs in GIMP is simple, basicly you just make a bunch of different looking layers and make them appear one after another. So each layer will make a frame in the animation.
I'm going to show you how it works, how to save a .GIF animation and how to use a built in feature that could help when making an animation.

Basics

To begin you'll have to have all the different objects in different layers (cars, backgrounds, heroes). When you have that you can move things around as much as you like. Set up every different picture of the animation and right click and choose New from Visible each time. Remember to name your layers (e.g. 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.) and to toggle the visibility off from every new 'New from Visible' layer.
While working you can preview the animation by choosing Filters > Animation > Playback... Use this as much as you can to begin with, this will help you learn predicting the outcome of your working process.

Making things move
It's simple. Just move your things using the Move Tool (M) and click (right click) New from Visible.
[Image: gifEXAMPLE.gif]

Transparent animations
Transparent animations are animations where the only things visible are in the foreground, the background is the site where the image is posted. To make transparent .GIFs, use these settings when saving.
You can also use the background color used in the BFH forum to make a transparent effect. The code for that color is 'e0dbd3'. This is the method I've used in both my car example and my old signatures (when I made the sigs I didn't even know .GIF supported transparency).

Fading Transitions
There's a special tool for making fading transitions in GIMP. Go to Filters > Animation > Blend to use it, you can choose how many frames you want the fade between each picture to consist of but remember that many frames is equal to bigger file size.
Example: an old signature of mine (notice the use of fading)
[Image: Acium.gif]

Extra:
After you've saved your .GIF animation you can reopen it in GIMP and change the settings of each frame by simply changing the layer name. Using this will result in not having to make multiple copies of layers if it's wanted that one frame is shown a longer time.
[Image: EXTRA.png]

7. Head collections [Difficulty level 2]

What is a head collection? A head collection is a short animation that shows the heads of famous people (heroes) you've killed. A head collection of 10 (at most) heads is really nice. Technically a head collection animation is just a few small pictures that appear one after another.

Begin with opening up every screenshot that contains an important head. Open up the first screenshot by clicking File > Open... and all the other ones by choosing File > Open as layers..

Next up: A. select the are around the "first kill" (the kill shown the highest up, in case the screenshot contains more than one head) and choose Image > Fit canvas to selection.
At this point, if you have a kill that you want to have in your collection that is a second or third kill you have to move these heads up using the Move Tool (M). (Make sure you select the right layer)
Now resize the whole picture to the height 100px. Othwerwise the picture will be too big (depends on the screenshot resolution). This is done choosing Image > Scale image. Make sure you lock the perspective (chain) and that the height is set to 100px.

| | | B. Before scaling | | | C. After Scaling
[Image: headCOLLECTION.png]

Now, just check that you have every head you need as a layer. Just turn the visibilty off of one layer at a time. When done, proceed to saving.
(If you're uncertain about the saving process, save the file with layers and all before you save as .gif)

How to save the collection: File > Save as.... Write the name of the image + the file extension (.gif). Example: heads.gif. Also make sure that you "Save as animation" and that the "Delay between frames where unspecified" is set to something between 700 and 900. SAVING

MY HEAD COLLECTION EXAMPLE

(This post was last modified: 23-12-2009 09:06 PM by Acetonium.)
08-08-2009, 06:39 PM | Post: #6
Acetonium 
8. Cutting out heroes [Difficulty level 1]

How to take good screenshots:
Before cutting anything out you'll need a good quality picture to work with. In the Game Menu go to Options and in video, set the settings as high as possible. It won't matter if the game will be just a little laggy because you're just going to take a screenshot, not play. Then just play the tutorial and take your screenshots by using the print screen button on the keyboard. You find your screenshots in My Documents (your user) in the folder Battlefield Heroes. You'll find that each screenshot appears twice, use the one that says .PNG.
C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER\My Documents\Battlefield Heroes\Screenshots (XP default)
C:\Users\YOUR USER\Documents\Battlefield Heroes\Screenshots (Windows 7 default)

The cutting process:
The most simple way to cut out heroes (and other objects) is to use the Free Select Tool (F) (lasso). Use the following settings: PICTURE
Then zoom in a lot (something like 400% or more) and begin selecting your hero by clicking along the edges (like in the picture).
[Image: CUTTINGprocess.png]

Smart keyboard commands:

Enter finishes the selection (connects the point you've just clicked with the first one)
Backspace is used to remove the last segment (the last clicked point)
[hold] Shift when you're working on details, this will remove the small circles around each point temporarily.

[Image: SmartCOMMANDS.png]

Finish off:
When you have selected the hero, copy the selection (Ctrl+C) and paste (Ctrl+V) in a new layer. Delete the background layer. If the picture still contains parts of the background (see picture below, the arm) just select that part and hit Delete to get rid off it.
Now, what remains is only the hero. Save the picture with the file extension .png
[Image: FinishOFF.png]

(This post was last modified: 23-12-2009 09:06 PM by Acetonium.)
08-08-2009, 06:47 PM | Post: #7
Acetonium 
[Image: gimplinks.png]

Useful GIMPing links as well as some useful files I've provided you!

Download GIMP
To be able to use the tutorial you'll need the program. The link goes directly to the download host, just click it and start GIMPing!
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gimp-wi...-setup.exe

Dafont.com
Dafont.com is one of the most popular font sites because you can download fonts from there for free! When GIMPing, don't just choose a random font you've got on your computer, download a new one that fits the image theme. (I download a new one for every signature I make Smile)
http://www.dafont.com/

Gimp-tutorials.net & gimp-tutorials.net
I've learned most techniques that I know on tutorial sites by trying new things. I suggest that new GIMPers should try that as well. Gimp.org has nice tutorials too.
http://gimp-tutorials.net/
http://www.gimp-tutorials.com/

Splatter brushes
When making BFH stuff splatter is never a bad thing! (in case the splatter doesn't covers everything else... (I've seen that too)) Some splatter brushes to download here. SPLATTER EXAMPLES
http://fc07.deviantart.com/fs4/f/2004/24...M1_Low.zip (Thanks to MasTerHacK)
http://www.deviantart.com/download/45042...irefox.zip (Thanks to Nameless Sniper)

iStrat's Design Workshop & Kinderegg's SHOP

The two most succesfull shops on the BFH forums. People too lazy to make their sigs themselves can request signatures in these shops. Basicly just fill in the data they need to make you a signature and attach a mugshot of your hero (if you want one). In case they're not too busy you'll soon have an awesome signature, a lot better than generator sigs!
[SHOP] Kinderegg Click the link to see samples of Kinderegg's work
iStrat's Design Workshop Click the link to see samples of iStrat's work

The Royal and National flags

These two are requested at least once every week in the media section of the forums. These are high quality pictures of the two flags.
ROYAL FLAG, NATIONAL FLAG

Diagonal Stripes pattern
These were first introduced on the forums by DanishDragon and are used by a lot of user nowdays. Gives the signature a nice finish.
EXAMPLE
Download diagonal stripes

Lidalgo's Video Tutorial - How to make BFH style text (logo)
The tutorial is in two parts and can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDuHJAacfQo (part 1) and here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEnLiLmma24 (part 2). Highly useful for those having a hard time picturing things in their heads reading from a text tutorial.
(This post was last modified: 23-12-2009 09:04 PM by Acetonium.)
01-10-2009, 10:14 AM | Post: #8
Acetonium 
[Image: gimpfaq.png]

Anything you did not understand? Is there something you just HAVE TO ask? Look here before spamming the tutorial!

How big can I make my signature? Goodman, forum rules: "Personal graphical signatures are not to exceed 900 pixels in length and 250 pixels in height."..."It is ONE signature per account, or multiple signatures within the confines of the 900 x 250 maximum allotted space. You may have up to two lines of text, either on the bottom or on the top of the graphic space. These can be links, or quotes."

I downloaded the camo' pattern but I can't find it in GIMP, what do I do wrong? The camouflage pattern is a .zip file, first you will have to unzip it. When unzipped, copy the file and place it into this folder: C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER*\.gimp-2.6\patterns. (default)

*your windows user. If your name is Rick, then YOUR USER may be Rick as well.

How do I install a font I downloaded from the internet? In XP, you have to copy the font file to this folder: C:\WINDOWS\Fonts and that's it. In Vista, you can do either that or right click on the font file and select install.

To be able to save transparent areas, I need to save as .png, how do I do that? You simply choose File > Save as... and enter the extension .png. Example (save file as): mysignature.png

How do I apply my signature? 1. Upload your image on an image hosting site such as imageschack. When finished uploading your picture will be given a "direct link". 2. On the forums, go to user cp > edit signature and paste the link in between image tags.
UPLOAD ON IMAGESCHACK, APPLY SIGNATURE ON BFH FORUMS
(This post was last modified: 24-08-2010 02:05 PM by Acetonium.)
01-10-2009, 10:15 AM | Post: #9
Acetonium 
[Image: NewGimp-Feedback.png]

The tutorial can't be improved unless people rate it, give feedback. SO DO IT!

Things that could be mentioned in your feedback:
  • Most importantly: the content. Is there anything that should be added to the tutorial? Something you think I missed? Could something in the tutorial have been done more effieciently?
  • Use of language, anything you think could have been expressed in a better way. Any grammar mistakes?
  • Pictures (screenshots), are there enough of them? Are there any pictures that should be replaced?
  • Any links that should be added? (good patterns, brushes, gimp sites, etc.) Any links that don't work?
  • The FAQ, some vital information that should be added?
  • pros and cons in general, please list them.
  • OR simply just rate the tutorial (not as useful but appreciated), if I only get 2/10s, 4/10s, etc. I'll do something about it Smile

Your help is appreciated!
~Acetonium

[Image: contacpqp.png]
(This post was last modified: 26-01-2010 09:02 AM by Acetonium.)
01-10-2009, 10:16 AM | Post: #10
Acetonium 
reserved
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2010 09:49 PM by Acetonium.)
01-10-2009, 01:26 PM | Post: #11
iStrat 
[Image: Gimp-iStrat.png]

Hey There, fellow Gimpers!
Acetonium, asked me to make a corner here at the tutorial, called "iStrat's Addition".
Here, I will give you some great tips about GIMP, and teach you how to make your signature a bit cooler.

I would like to start with a few tips.
Some Moral Tips:
  • Practice, practice, practice... Makes perfect. Hard in the tutorials, easy in the sketch.
  • Don't give up, even if nothing good comes out in the first times, you'll get better, but only time (and practice) shall tell. My starter work didn't come out good aswell.
  • Don't be scared to do tutorials, even if they look tricky, it will take a while to do them, you will see that after doing them, you'll get familiar with the new techniques you have just learned.
  • Use your creativity, you will be amazed with the things you can make!
  • Got an idea? Just do it! After you will master a few basic techniques, you'll be able to start your own work from scratch.

To make a sig better you need...
  • A border! To make your signature look more real on the page, you will need a border (That is my opinion), a border doesn't have to be just a black (Or any other color) square around your signature. Be creative.
  • Cut out your hero's legs if he comes out of the frame at the botton, I will show you how to do that, here.
  • Quality is at the first place. Make sure that nothing in you signature is pixeled. If something, looks a bit rough on the edges (Like your mugshot), make it small and then, sharpen it.

Current Tutorial

How to make a "Round-Double-Border In BFH Style" For Your Signature. [Difficulty level 2]

Step A: Create a new file by doing: File > New... then put in the size of 300x250 Pixels, call it "Background Black".
Open up the Advanced Options in Fill with: choose Transparency. Press Confirm.

Take the Rectangle Select Tool (Can also be done by press the button R) and draw a rectangle, make it in any shape or size you want, as long as it doesn't come out of the borders.
Now to make the rectange's corners round, you will need to do this: Choose Select > Rounded Rectangle... make the Radius 30%.
Now, make a new layer (Layer > New Layer... > Confirm) then take the Bucket Fill Tool (Hotkey: Shift+B) and fill the rectangle with the color black.

Step B: Make a new layer, Layer > New Layer... > Confirm, call it "Background White". Now, with the rectangle still selected, do this: Select > Shrink... and shrink by two pixels.
Now select the Bucket Fill Tool and fill this layer with the color white.

Step C: Open your screenshot or any other picture you want as a background through File > Open As Layers... , if the picture isn't a PNG file, right click on the picture's layer and select Add Alpha Channel if you can't choose this option, that's because you have this option already working.
Now, right click on the layer "Background Black" and choose Alpha To Selection.
Then do these steps:
  1. Press Select > Shrink... and shrink by 3 pixels.
  2. Press Select > Invert, you can also do this by pressing Ctrl+I.
  3. Make sure your active layer is the picture's layer then hit the Delete button on your keyboard.

Your done! Please look at the pictures below to verify your steps.

[Image: step1dbrc.png]
[Image: step2dbrc.png]
[Image: step3dbrc.png]

ACEONIUM'S GIMP TUTORIAL

RIC0H says - Please be sure to read up on the signature rules, your signature cannot exceed 250px in height. Your sig is 348px in height.
If in doubt then please look here. Also note that if you wish to make your pic smaller, then look here.

[ig]http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/1024/rainbowsimplegreen.png[/ig]
"Because Simplicity Kicks Ass"
Click sig for my shop!
I named Sunset Showdown!

[Image: 96hov6.png]

[Image: attachment.php?attachhash=e89007ed59ab9e...520329602c]
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2009 03:09 PM by iStrat.)
11-11-2009, 06:17 PM | Post: #12
Acetonium 
(11-11-2009 05:14 PM)Wolfhide Wrote:  Brill tut Acetonium, kudosssssss Smile

EDIT: but having slight probs with iStrat's border, instead of clearing the area outside the screenshot (from ASH of course) it has simply made it black? any help would be much appreciated.

currently looking like a-this:

Nice to see that people find my efforts useful Big Grin
Here's a simplier (better Big Grin) way to do the border, or a border.

1. Open you screenshot and scale it to the right size.
2. Select the area of the screenshot you want in your signature. Use these settings (Rectangluar Select Tool).
(2.1 You may change the rounded corner radius if you like to. 15 may be to little)
3. Make a new layer and place it above the screenshot layer.
4. In the new layer, paint your selection (that you made in step 2) totally black.
5. Select > Shrink, use a 2px shrink.
6. Paint your new (shrinked) selection totally white (still in the new layer).
7. Shrink by 1px, hit delete.
8. Now choose your background layer and Select > Invert and press delete (in the background layer).

9. And there it is! Your signature background.

[Image: examplen.png]

if the border isn't exactly like the one you want, try to use the same technique to make different borders

Acetonium - hope this answered your question Big Grin
If it didn't, make sure you followed every step carefully and did nothing I didn't tell you to do. Also, use your common sense Big Grin Try to realize what is currently being done.
(This post was last modified: 18-04-2011 07:02 PM by Acetonium.)
25-01-2010, 10:10 PM | Post: #13
Acetonium 
@Metroid
There are, as usual, several different ways of doing it. The easiest way to do it is to...

1. Choose the Eraser Tool (Shift + E)
2. Go for a "Circle Fuzzy" brush. (see image below)
3. Change the size of the brush (scale) depending on how much you want the edges to fade (bigger brush = more fade)
4. Simply erase the stuff you don't want in your image = use the eraser like a normal paint brush in any image editing program.

image to clarify:

[Image: 1zykd4.png]

Hope this solved your problem,
Ace
29-01-2010, 08:08 PM | Post: #14
Dfuzz 
Hey Ace tut Ace but I have 1 question about the camo pattern I have looked (not very hard) for a Navy blue version like the national paratrooper.Is there any chance you could post a link to one please thanks

Dfuzz

29-01-2010, 08:31 PM | Post: #15
Acetonium 
@Dfuzz
If we're still talking about the same pattern, but only about a different color...
It's simple to change the coloring of something in Gimp:

1. Go to Colors > Colorize...
2. Test your way to the right color by moving the "color bar" around a little Smile

Ace
01-02-2010, 04:03 PM | Post: #16
Cradox 
how to you put an image behind another? trying to make a border, though i can't get the new layer behind the main image, also when i press new layer what kind of ''fill'' type should i have? transparent, white, background color or foreground color? reply quickly please Smile

[Image: 2gxjp55.jpg]
01-02-2010, 05:10 PM | Post: #17
Dfuzz 
(29-01-2010 08:31 PM)Acetonium Wrote:  @Dfuzz
If we're still talking about the same pattern, but only about a different color...
It's simple to change the coloring of something in Gimp:

1. Go to Colors > Colorize...
2. Test your way to the right color by moving the "color bar" around a little Smile

Ace

Thanks

01-02-2010, 05:17 PM | Post: #18
Cradox 
checked your new border guide and tried. just gets it into this:
[Image: forumcheckout.png]

any tips? really wanna make my own sig, also want it to be cool Smile

[Image: 2gxjp55.jpg]
01-02-2010, 05:23 PM | Post: #19
jimmycracker43 
Cradox when you round it and the dots flash around saying you have rouned it, copy it, then delete the layer, then paste the rounded selection, and then the border Tongue

[Image: 25tddo3.jpg]

Thanks To Leonvz For The Template Big Grin
01-02-2010, 06:40 PM | Post: #20
Acetonium 
(01-02-2010 05:17 PM)Cradox Wrote:  checked your new border guide and tried. just gets it into this:
[Image: forumcheckout.png]

any tips? really wanna make my own sig, also want it to be cool Smile

Did you look at this post: http://www.battlefieldheroes.com/forum/s...#pid861026 ? (post 12 in this thread)
In that case, I think you did everything right except for the eighth point. Try doing that one again.

Also... a VEEEEEERYYY important thing
signature maker's rule #1!!!
  • Every time you do something in Gimp: ALWAYS try to UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR GOAL IS, WHAT THE RESULT SHOULD LOOK LIKE. If you only follow the tutorial without understanding what you're doing, things will most likely go wrong. If there is something that you don't understand, start with doing something easier, and examining the different tools and the features.

Ace