Hello There, Guest!

27-07-2009, 10:56 AM | Post: #1
sOmEoNeCrAzY 
MY GUNNER GUIDE

hey guys,
there has been a lot of posts about how weak the gunner is. i notcied they dropped to very low numbers lately.

there are many gunner guides. i think, most of them are not optimal. at least not for me.

so i will post my tiny gunner guide here to help you guys play as gunner and NOT take the damn sniper like 90% of all players do.

im just level ~20 with my gunner but i hardly find another player that really beats me over and over again.
so i think im quite good. usually best of server, k-d most of the time 10 minimum.

so i can say my style works great for me. find out if its an alternative for you, too ?!

the main problem of the gunner is damage output.
you have more health but do less damage than a medic. even with shotgun.
so we have to fix this main problem.
if you face 2 or 3 enemies at once you have to deal damage fast, to get all 3 down before they kill you !
with normal means it takes by far too long.
so read on....

so here we go:

weapons:
shotguns are not good. some people like it together with legit but i tell you: no ! they dont do enough damage.

the fast mg does so little damage you need half your magazine to get one guy down. it takes way too long.

so we end up with:

slot1: long range mg
slot2 (main weapon): default mg with unlimited time
and bazooka of course

widgets:

i take splendid bandage as i often do not lose enough health to need supreme bandage.
wrench: take 3 or 4 point wrench. not best. its not necessary.

skills:

here it comes to many discussions.
i have found out what is definitely the best for me:

keg: leave it ! many people like keg but its crappy. why ? can you remember being killed by a keg ? no ? same here, the keg doesnt really do much.
only in rare situations. you have better use for your points. as you cant look through walls you waste time with throwing the keg when you could be

dealing damage instead. so just leave the keg.

IEG: i dont have a point at this. i just rarely face nades and with tanks its not so helpful. so we leave this out even if it comes in handy some times.

shield: leave the 1st point.

frenzy: this is the key ! remember what i said above ? about the lack of damage output ? so here we got ! get frenzy to 5 as soon as possible.
with 5 on frenzy you can use it often and out-damage every other guy when using default MG. so this is your main skill ! you can take down 3 people at

once with one use of frenzy, if you do it well. so max out frenzy !

legit: after frenzy is full, go for legit. you need it to travel around fast and get back into the action if you die.

after frenzy and legit is full (level 20) go for shield or IEG.

fighting:

once you have set up everything correctly we can start kicking serious nutz.

so here we go:

spawn, use legit to get into the action. if you face an enemy:

fire up the frenzy skill. blast him with default mg. once frenzy runs out, kick it with legit. run around in circles around him (so hes the center of the

circle). you are fast, even good players miss you. while you are running, monitor your health closely ! if it drops down, use shield. this is your last

stand. once shield is over, you are done for.

heal up after the fight and start like that again. frenzy first to deal damage, legit after that to get away or avoid hits and shield third to boost your

last piece of health.

you can mix in bazooka to throw enemies around if you like.

with this style i kill about everyone Smile.
because:
i have more health than medics, i deal way more damage to them !
the other gunners usually wasted points in keg or use fast mg. both factors make them less powerfull than my combination. i own them.

snipers... well... you can use frenzy and long range mg but snipers are overpowered anyway.
if you face a sniper

[Image: 17561]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=6495]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-07-2009, 11:00 AM | Post: #2
sOmEoNeCrAzY 
snipers... well... you can use frenzy and long range mg but snipers are overpowered anyway.
if you face a sniper at a distance, you cant really do anything. most of my deaths come from snipers. as slow gunner you cant avoid them.
get some cover or attack right away, sometimes they are low on health and you can kill them, if they are not so good.

basic hints:

to get this superb damage dealing that defeats the enemies, you need good aiming.
i assume that nearly every shot hits !
hard ? no way ! try REDUCING YOUR SENSITIVITY of the mouse !!! if you have a mouse with on-the-fly sensitivity change, use lowest level.
if not, adjust sensitivity in the game options.
as this game is a very slow game, with VERY low sensitivity you can easily hit with every bullet.

so default mg + frenzy lvl 5 + low sensitivity gives you the highest damage output in game, able to mow down even 3 enemies at once.

try it out ! and face the fearsome hogenman Wink

feel free to discuss my post. i want to mention that different setups might be better for some people.
for me, this has been by far the most deadly setup.
and as i win the 1on1 or 2on1 fights on a regular basis, i think few other guys have found out a better combination.

27-07-2009, 11:03 AM | Post: #3
Mikster 
now that´s a nice guide, going to try it out now. ty m8

[Image: 2ev6lcm.jpg]

Leader of the group The Cheap Bastards that is now full.
27-07-2009, 11:20 AM | Post: #4
Yandere 
Decent player, horrible guide^ "
27-07-2009, 11:52 AM | Post: #5
Burney222 
The problem with your skill combination is that the abilities stops each other. because of that i prefer the Keg because it stops no other abilitie... although your k/d is pretty nice which i cannot believe but it works for you it's fine Wink

The REAL Gunner Guide:
Want to be better as Gunner? Click me!

My Gunner Gameplay Video on VV:
Watch how to play Gunner effectively!

[Image: pubsig.php?BangBurney;191214858;21]
27-07-2009, 11:54 AM | Post: #6
Blackwyn 
If I were to make a gunner guide, yours would be the complete opposite to it Big Grin
I find leg-it a must have skill for gunners along with shotgun. Also notice that keg is the strongest explosive in the game right now. Combine that with bazooka and it hurts like hell.
IEG will give you an over advantage vs tanks, along with cleaning up troop traps , tnts on your tanks etc. Giving it less credit than it deserves.
I also find frenzy fire to be the most useless ability for the gunner right now..
But but.. all to its own and if it works for you. Then go for it Wink

[Image: blackwynsig.jpg]
27-07-2009, 12:01 PM | Post: #7
sOmEoNeCrAzY 
Smile thanks for the comments.

the problem with keg is just that you can not direct the damage you do so well.

just played a few rounds.
18:3
11:2
14:1

its not that im such a great guy but this kind of fighting just succeeds big time.
if i die its mainly because i started a fight with less than 100 health or i get sniped or overrun.

when i played my medic, i thought medic would be the most powerfull class.
now i deal with any medic in no time.

the key is that you have to get close to the enemy !
from a distance the gunner is weak.

the other day some guy used blasting strike at max level.
i barely had a chance.
he set me on fire, blew me away and if i did not end up in the sea or fell off some other cliff, he used 6th sense to spot me and healed instantly.

so i was down with health and he was full again.

against this kind of medic i havent figured out a way yet.
and i think there hardly is any...
working on it Smile

oh, and for abilities to stop each other:

watch my order !
1. frenzy, as it is strongest
2. when frenzy is out, use legit
3. when low on health, the additional legit time is useless, because you will die. so use shield. this will stop legit but its ok.

so we dont have a problem with interference here.

with keg i mean, the time it takes and the attention required are better used to fire with frenzy fire. use the 2-3 seconds to fire the MG and you do more damage than with a good keg hit. in close combat, every second counts, so make the most of it !
and as you cant look through walls, you cant throw the keg in advance (like nades). so you have to use your "fighting-time" to use the keg which could otherwise be used to fire the Frenzy-MG.

feel free to join after me and battle me. im always looking for a challenge and to learn !

(This post was last modified: 27-07-2009 12:05 PM by sOmEoNeCrAzY.)
27-07-2009, 12:09 PM | Post: #8
Cap'n Gumba 
Thx for the build CrAzY gonna try that now... I'll let you know if it works for me to... though I'm only a lvl 13 gunner Tongue

[Image: 3]
(This post was last modified: 28-07-2009 08:09 AM by Cap'n Gumba.)
27-07-2009, 12:37 PM | Post: #9
Cap'n Gumba 
Sick build... I just played 4 rounds and got...
10:3
9:3
6:3
16:2
Gonna stick to this build... thx mate Big Grin..

Nationals all the way Tongue

Edit: keeping on dealing death... just got 15:3, 16:2, 14:3, etc. etc...... thx again Big Grin

(This post was last modified: 27-07-2009 01:20 PM by Cap'n Gumba.)
27-07-2009, 12:38 PM | Post: #10
sOmEoNeCrAzY 
(27-07-2009 12:09 PM)Capn Gumba Wrote:  Thx for the guild CrAzY gonna try that now... I'll let you know if it works for me to... though I'm only a lvl 13 gunner Tongue

yeah some feedback would be nice Smile.
gunners ftw !!!! Smile

27-07-2009, 12:48 PM | Post: #11
SheepGoMoo 
i agree, i too am not a big fan of the keg. I find frenzy fire an interesting one....

I think its an awsome ability espesially in mid/short range but i do think its crutial to level up leggit to at least level 3 first... frenzy fire doesnt do anything too big until level 4-5 so i think maybe level up leggit and sheild and use those 2, then when you have enought points for 3-5 leggit 3-5 sheild then spend the 5 points on frenzy fire.

Then you can have an ability in action at ALL times. I would go leggit to the enemy, sheild next (if i kill him in this time that means i dont have to use a bandage) then when sheild is out use frenzy fire and leggit away.

Or if the enemy you meet if close by then use frenzy/sheild from the start and use leggit as a last ability to finish him off and run to cover.

As for IEG i think its not essential since i use leggit then sheild to take down tanks but it can have its uses and is worth that 1 point in my opinion.

Hope this all makes sense Big Grin

EDIT:
Quote:with keg i mean, the time it takes and the attention required are better used to fire with frenzy fire. use the 2-3 seconds to fire the MG and you do more damage than with a good keg hit. in close combat, every second counts, so make the most of it !
Key sentence ^^^^^

(This post was last modified: 27-07-2009 12:51 PM by SheepGoMoo.)
27-07-2009, 02:19 PM | Post: #12
sOmEoNeCrAzY 
ok of course you can go for legit or shield in the first levels. FF only is good with level 5.

so until you reach level 10 use something else. but you can easily make level 10 in one day (or maybe 2).
so it doesnt really matter.

use frenzy first !
frenzy after shield doesnt work so good for me.
shield is only a last resort.
you need to deal damage as fast as possible. imagine you face a group of enemies from behind. with frenzy you can take down 1 or 2 until the even see what going on behind them.

but feel free to try whatever you like.
just remember that frenzy first is most likely the best way.

27-07-2009, 02:35 PM | Post: #13
mcflyhityouhigh 
the kind of soldier you mentioned you dont have a chance against, you can pwn if you throw a keg at him and he uses bs to get rid of it. now you can go infight. otherwise it'll be hard to win.

nice tip with default mg, i'll try it. 5 points in FF i tried and did really like, good to hear someone else thinks that way Smile
ty
27-07-2009, 05:15 PM | Post: #14
LostCaptain 
Im sorry, but Frenzy Fire is horrible. So far whenever some one uses it they die instantly, its a waste of space. Like Yandre said: "Decent Player, Horrible guide" srry man 1/10 score on this one.

[Image: sigcopyx.png]
27-07-2009, 05:18 PM | Post: #15
Devasator 
fly swatter>basic MG

shot gun+leg it= deadly combo
Keg+bazooka= Big boom
frenzy= fail
shield= emergency use after leg it
Overall= Leg it>all
27-07-2009, 08:12 PM | Post: #16
Sabbathius 
It works. I don't know how or why, must be the combination of sensitivity being lowered and Frenzy Fire, but it works. My level 10 gunner with nothing but Frenzy maxed is getting 10-3 consistently, where before it was about 8-4 at best.

Quick question, I heard short range MG is useless, but is it still useless with Frenzy Fire on? I seem to recall seeing in another thread that with 5 FF the short range one can chew things up very well. Thoughts?
27-07-2009, 10:18 PM | Post: #17
sOmEoNeCrAzY 
to you above:
its ok, you dont have to think my guide is great.
feel free to take whatever is good for you.
i can only speak for myself and i dont die as soon as i take frenzy fire.
the only one that dies are the 3 enemies around me Wink
no, seriously, its very nice but perhaps the guys you see dont have level 5 !
below level 5 its useless, thats correct.

and once again: shotgun does NOT deal enough damage !
may be enough for one guy but never enough for 2 or 3.

(27-07-2009 08:12 PM)Sabbathius Wrote:  It works. I don't know how or why, must be the combination of sensitivity being lowered and Frenzy Fire, but it works. My level 10 gunner with nothing but Frenzy maxed is getting 10-3 consistently, where before it was about 8-4 at best.

Quick question, I heard short range MG is useless, but is it still useless with Frenzy Fire on? I seem to recall seeing in another thread that with 5 FF the short range one can chew things up very well. Thoughts?

yes, i tried this.
i thought: fast mg has fast rate of fire so the frenzy bonus gets applied to more bullets.
but thats not correct. the MG is so weak and has so little ammo, that you wont succeed with it.
you dont even have to try it basically, i did extensively and its clear, that the default mg is the best.

lowering sensitivity is vital for frenzy fire !!!

27-07-2009, 11:14 PM | Post: #18
Sabbathius 
Okay, gotcha on the short range MG. Been using the default one and long range one for snipers and planes. Great. Just fantastic. Had rounds with 14-0, 15-2, stuff like that. For a level 11, not bad at all.
27-07-2009, 11:45 PM | Post: #19
PapaSmurf255 
It's good, but a good smack from BS will ruin your day Big Grin

Keg is the answer to BS. It forces the soldier to take massive damage, get pop'd up (easy shots for you), and use heal or hit it away with BS. I'll give this a try once I hit level 20 on my gunner (so I can get level 5 FF and level 5 Leg It at the same time). Keg/Leg It is probably better for starting out since you only need to max Leg It, while FF needs to be level 5 to become effective.

And I should probably tune down my sensitivity. I play on somewhere around 2.5-3 O.o Guess playing on the xbox gives you bad habits (I use 80% of the highest possible sensitivity on every 360 FPS I play Tongue), and I just did the same here without thinking.

xfire: papasmurf256 | Pro Commando Guide | Why the soldier is OP (This post was last modified: 27-07-2009 11:46 PM by PapaSmurf255.)
28-07-2009, 12:24 AM | Post: #20
Gaffer89 
I see alot of hate here, but I do concur with this guide. I play very much the same way the OP does and it does have its merits, Namely:

1). Keg - While great for tossing over a wall or around a corner, kegs can be near useless when thrown poorly or not shot at a good moment. Additionally, time spent shooting the keg is time not spent shooting your target. Some players manage the keg better than others, so this build offers ...
2). Frenzy Fire - At level 5 this skill is an acceptable investment. The extra accuracy and +2 damage a shot is a nice plus and in close quarters and good ambush from FF can make the stock MG a formidible weapon. The downsides to this skill are twofold, namely that its efficacy at long range is "meh" at best (though the recharge is okay) and that it cancels shield/legit.
3). Shield/Leg it - Some people like to max this early, but I'm on the fence. Lvl 5 shield is excellent for keeping gunners in the fight longer, but leg it is useful for getting to (or leaving, for that matter) combat quickly. Versus an ambush it's again iffy; one cannot hope to outrun an elixir commando-the shield is a better panic button all around for my style.
4). IEG - I have never used or tried this, but probably should have. Good management of the shield and leg it can mitigate tank damage during encounters (and bandages help, though I stick with stock for sheer utility.)

You have the right idea for an alternative gunner strategy, except it's not as sexy as Burney's Smile