Hello There, Guest!

28-06-2009, 01:55 AM | Post: #1
Alereon 
It requires typing some commands into the Windows command line, but I was able to get BF Heroes working when nothing else would!

I found that in my case the Error 1002: Unable to Connect was caused by an incompatibility between the EA server software and a new feature in Windows Vista called "Explicit Congestion Notification", or ECN. It's not on by default in Vista, but some Internet Optimizer software turns it on. I think this same feature also exists in Windows XP with the newest updates and Windows 7.

To see if you are affected and if the steps below are likely to help, try to access the following link:
https://profile.ea.com

I was unable to pull up this page in any web browser, it just gave a connection timed out error. After trying this fix, I am now able to load this site and can connect to the game!

My Specs: Windows Vista 64-bit Ultimate SP2, all advanced network features turned on. I am using the Windows Vista built-in firewall. I had previously tried disabling the firewall, forwarding all the ports in the FAQ, and resetting my TCP/IP and Winsock settings without success.

How to fix:

Go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, right-click on "Command Prompt" and select "Run As Administrator". In the window that comes up, type the following command:

netsh int tcp set global ecncapability=disabled

So far I have not noticed any problems from doing this, though it makes sense that copying large files over my home network will probably be a bit slower. Like I said I will test further and see if I can find what specific setting causes the problem.
(This post was last modified: 28-06-2009 05:59 AM by Alereon.)
Find all posts by this user
28-06-2009, 02:08 AM | Post: #2
Alereon 
I have confirmed that this problem occurs when TCP Explicit Congestion Notifications (ECN) is enabled. I have no idea why the EA servers would refuse to accept connections with this enabled when literally everything else on the Internet works fine. The command that will fix this problem (if this is the cause for you) is:

netsh int tcp set global ecncapability=disabled
28-06-2009, 02:18 AM | Post: #3
Nameless Sniper 
great work

but does this solution have any caveats?

like making your pc less secure or something

I am The Nameless Sniper and I approve this message™
[Image: speedgun_sig_814.png]

Former Community Moderator | Twitter | Signature Gallery | Steam | YouTube | Send me a PM

(This post was last modified: 28-06-2009 02:18 AM by Nameless Sniper.)
28-06-2009, 02:20 AM | Post: #4
Nino.Oro 
yeah
i wanted to make sure does it involve security?

[Image: 6031da4.gif]
[Image: 1]
28-06-2009, 02:31 AM | Post: #5
Alereon 
No, these settings are related to performance. The "Explicit Congestion Notification", or ECN setting, basically lets your computer say "Hold on for a second, my connection is full" when your connection is overloaded. It's basically designed to make really fast computer networks more efficient so shouldn't affect your Internet connection much anyway.
28-06-2009, 04:38 PM | Post: #6
Jamesbiff 
Running windows 7, applied this change as directed EXACTLEY in the post. Rebooted, ran firefox, same error occured, ran firefox as admin still same error.

just an update, this fix probably does work, just not for me.
28-06-2009, 05:13 PM | Post: #7
Z3pp3lin 
Didn't work for me.. Still 1002 issue.
1002 is such a slap in the face Tongue
29-06-2009, 01:50 AM | Post: #8
Ruhn 
Alereon, you are my hero!!! <33333
30-06-2009, 06:08 PM | Post: #9
Trainzman 
Hmm got me a bit further, at least it stated that it was logging into my account which I had not seen before. then it bombed out to the same error

######Trainzman######
Been on here, since Day one Big Grin
11-07-2009, 07:10 PM | Post: #10
TortoiseFury 
(30-06-2009 06:08 PM)Trainzman Wrote:  Hmm got me a bit further, at least it stated that it was logging into my account which I had not seen before. then it bombed out to the same error

it didnt work for me Sad
13-07-2009, 01:41 AM | Post: #11
timmy321 
hey it didnt work for me is there any error 1002 fixes for free ive tried regcure and stuff like that but u have to pay
13-07-2009, 02:12 AM | Post: #12
S1nergy 
I managed to find a Wikipedia article that explains the purpose of the ECS on the Operating system in a bit more detail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explicit_Co...tification