Hello There, Guest!

05-11-2011, 11:20 PM | Post: #1
Memphiso 
[Image: 155jgvm.png]

I bet there are a lot of people on the forum learning a language. Wether it’s for school, you’re going to move to a certain country, you got a passion for that language or just love languages in general. Maybe these people can help each other? A native speaker can help out the person learning this native speaker’s language. Or a person learning a language with a descent level can help someone who is new to this language.

So my suggestion is: people who are interested in this project, let’s exchange Xfire and BFH account names, so we can chat and play with each other in each other’s language while having fun. Post below the languages you speak and want to learn. I will post mine too.

My languages (in this order):
1) Native language Dutch;

2) My English is at a pretty high level and my best foreign language. In Holland we learn English already at primary school;

3) I study Scandinavian Languages and Cultures at university with as main language Swedish. It’s my first year at university, but I already thaught myself Swedish around six years ago. I can express myself in Swedish very well, though I´m not fluent in it;

4) At high school I had for five years German. Since I finnished high school four years ago I don’t use German often. Therefore my German isn’t what it used to be;

5) I also had French at high school. I never did my best for it, because I thought it’s an ugly language (sorry frenchies Tongue). Now I regret it, because I would like to speak French at a descent level, I can hardly express with it;

6) Last year I went with my old school (school between high school and university) to Rome and I wanted to speak with the locals their in their own language. So I bought a cheap Italian course so I could speak some easy conversations and could shop, ask the way, etc. in Italian. It would be cool if I could improve my Italian a bit;

7) A while ago, I've done a lil' Portuguese and Spanish. I have forgotten most of it and when I got some more time, I hope I can pick it up again;

8) Lastly I like to spam the ingame chat sometimes with some random words and phrases I know in Finnish, Croatian and Polish, hehe.
Though I would like to learn Croatian, since I don’t know any Slavic language yet and it seems to be the most easy Slavic language. Arabic
seems also kinda interesting.

So what languages do YOU want to learn or you want to help other people with? Maybe you're learning German at school and got yourself some problems with it. A German native can help you out! Add him, play some BFH with him and chat German with him ingame. That way you are having fun and are improving your German at the same time! So if you are willing to help with this project, want to share your language learning methods or have a useful comment, please post something below!

NOTE: If you decide to post in another language than English (please do so!), post an English translation with it!

(This post was last modified: 06-07-2013 12:41 PM by Memphiso.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2011, 11:21 PM | Post: #2
Memphiso 
Here are some tips and tricks to improve the language you are learning:

1) Buy a phrasebook in this language to see if you actually like the language. When you find out you don't like it, you can put that effort into something else (or another language).

2) Do everything you do in the language you are learning. For example, you could write your shopping list in this language, put your mobile phone settings in this language, etc.

3) Read children's book in the desired language. When you're getting better, go read 'normal' literature. I've read till example Pippi Långstrump and Mumintrollen and later I've read Wallander (you could ofcourse subscribe to your local library if they have litterature in this language);

4) Watch YouTube, download children's movies. I've seen The Lion King, Shrek, Ice Age and many other movies in Swedish. Later I saw some more mature movies like Millenium, Ondskan, Yalla Yalla and the Wallander tv-series;

5) Read online newspapers;

6) Put your BFH language in the language you're learning (if possible). You can also put the settings of your mobile phone in the language. Be creative, there are many other things you can switch to this language!

7) Add and play BFH (and other games) with native speakers;

8) Chat with native people on Xfire or any other chat program, and talk with these people on Skype, Team Speak, etc.;

9) Visit the country of the language you are learning, and use the language as much as you can. Talk with some natives, go shopping, order something in a restaurant, etc. Not only is it fun to do, but also it improves the language a lot. The locals even love and enjoy it when you're taking effort to speak their language.

10) Special tip for the Dutchies: at the Boekenvoordeel (a book store) you can buy a language course for only five euros! It's called Snelcursus INSERT-LANGUAGE-HERE Spreken en Begrijpen, and is available for Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, French, German and English. Though the quality of the course isn't that great, it gives you a great start and introduction to the language!

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2014 05:07 PM by Memphiso.)
05-11-2011, 11:22 PM | Post: #3
Prozer54321 
to lazy read this at 23:22 german clock

[Image: iviooy.jpg]
05-11-2011, 11:25 PM | Post: #4
Obvious.Hacker 
I can haz talk dutch n english ;3

I be bad at Vietnamese though ;o

05-11-2011, 11:27 PM | Post: #5
ironsiolder123 
Technically your posting another language on the english section of the forum. I belive this isn't allowed.

Good luck if you are allowed anyway.

[Image: 561818108.png]

(This post was last modified: 05-11-2011 11:27 PM by ironsiolder123.)
05-11-2011, 11:27 PM | Post: #6
Snadwich
1) Native Language Italian

2)Native Language Polish

3) I know english,even if not pretty well, i'm trying to improve,internetz helped me a lot with the pronounciation

4)Learnt Spanish for 3 years,stopped,now i barely remember a word

5)Learning German and French ATM and im HATING French
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2011 11:29 PM by Snadwich.)
05-11-2011, 11:29 PM | Post: #7
Obvious.Hacker 
(05-11-2011 11:27 PM)ironsiolder123 Wrote:  Technically your posting another language on the english section of the forum. I belive this isn't allowed.

Read the post..

05-11-2011, 11:31 PM | Post: #8
natslayer 
i was raised by my parents in french and learned dutch at school since i was 4 years old or so Wink
my english is acceptable and i understand a bit of german but not much Undecided
that's the language i'd like to learn most (german) Blush
i could help people out who have trouble with dutch and/or french

[Image: nslogotext.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2011 11:32 PM by natslayer.)
05-11-2011, 11:32 PM | Post: #9
ironsiolder123 
(05-11-2011 11:29 PM)Obvious.Hacker Wrote:  
(05-11-2011 11:27 PM)ironsiolder123 Wrote:  Technically your posting another language on the english section of the forum. I belive this isn't allowed.

Read the post..

[22:26:21] George: No. It's not. But I wont post on that. I'll let someone else do it.

Read Gdude. Sleepy

[Image: 561818108.png]

05-11-2011, 11:34 PM | Post: #10
wirklit 
That`s really interesting idea. I always wanted to learn Croatian, but I`m to lazy (to justify - I learn English and German in school so I don`t have too much time for "fun" stuff even if it`s just another slavic language like my own).

I can teach some nice polish curses anyone who wants to let steam off on chat and so no one could understand (no consequences = HURRAY! Big Grin).

[Image: wirklit.png]
05-11-2011, 11:36 PM | Post: #11
Memphiso 
(05-11-2011 11:25 PM)Obvious.Hacker Wrote:  I can haz talk dutch n english ;3

I be bad at Vietnamese though ;o
Maybe some Vietnamese players here can help you with your Vietnamese, while you can help someone else with Dutch. There are many Walloons (French speaking Belgians) learning Dutch...

@ Snadwich:
Forse vuoi aiutare me con Italiano. Hai Xfire?
Maybe you can help me with Italian. You got Xfire?

(05-11-2011 11:31 PM)natslayer Wrote:  i was raised by my parents in french and learned dutch at school since i was 4 years old or so Wink
my english is acceptable and i understand a bit of german but not much Undecided
Maybe some Geman native wants to add you and you guys play some rounds together? Big Grin

05-11-2011, 11:37 PM | Post: #12
Snadwich
Lol,why not, it could be a nice experience, add me: happysandwich

(Was too lazy to PM)
05-11-2011, 11:38 PM | Post: #13
Blackwyn 
WTT English, Swedish or Spanish
Japanese

[Image: PN1bEdp.jpg]
05-11-2011, 11:38 PM | Post: #14
natslayer 
(05-11-2011 11:36 PM)Memphiso Wrote:  
(05-11-2011 11:31 PM)natslayer Wrote:  i was raised by my parents in french and learned dutch at school since i was 4 years old or so Wink
Maybe some Geman native wants to add you and you guys play some rounds together? Big Grin

that'd be cool, i iz waiting for PM or so Big Grin

05-11-2011, 11:46 PM | Post: #15
niklasvdm 
I can talk English (not THAT well) and Dutch is my home language Smile
I learn french at school but , i suck at it , would like someone to teach me some real , good french , scince my teacher sucks D:. I can talk a 'lil bit , the basis , but not enough to talk Normal.

05-11-2011, 11:47 PM | Post: #16
Aces#High 
1) Native Language is German, if anyone needs help/wants to learn or something like that, add me in BFH(Aces#High,obviously)or XFire(Jonchecker)
2) average english
3) I'm learning spanish in school and would appreciate some help

Would like to have some native spanish people in my Friend List on both BFH and xFire Wink

[Image: 15729_s.gif]
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2011 11:54 PM by Aces#High.)
05-11-2011, 11:48 PM | Post: #17
Obvious.Hacker 
(05-11-2011 11:32 PM)ironsiolder123 Wrote:  
(05-11-2011 11:29 PM)Obvious.Hacker Wrote:  

Read the post..

[22:26:21] George: No. It's not. But I wont post on that. I'll let someone else do it.

Read Gdude. Sleepy

What GDude and you both dont see is; that we're helping each other with languages, while maintaining the english usage in the forum..
I said "read the post" because of this part;
(05-11-2011 11:20 PM)Memphiso Wrote:  NOTE: If you decide to post in another language than English (please do so!), post an English translation with it!

So just read the post next time. As it wouldn't make sense that we're not allowed to use other languages while having the english translation next to it.. Dodgy

05-11-2011, 11:48 PM | Post: #18
Memphiso 
(05-11-2011 11:38 PM)Blackwyn Wrote:  WTT English, Swedish or Spanish
Japanese
Vaffan, kan du japanska? Får jag adda dig på Xfire (om du har Xfire)? :3
Wtf, you speak Japanese? Can I add you on Xfire (if you got Xfire)?

05-11-2011, 11:49 PM | Post: #19
R0yalS0ld1eR 
native language romain,i know italian very well(i do school in italy) i know a little bit german and english not very well xD
05-11-2011, 11:50 PM | Post: #20
natslayer 
(05-11-2011 11:46 PM)niklasvdm Wrote:  I can talk English (not THAT well) and Dutch is my home language Smile
I learn french at school but , i suck at it , would like someone to teach me some real , good french , scince my teacher sucks D:. I can talk a 'lil bit , the basis , but not enough to talk Normal.

i can teach you some french if you want Tongue
i'll talk to you in dutch to make it easier then Wink
send me a pm if you accept Smile

(This post was last modified: 05-11-2011 11:51 PM by natslayer.)