Hello There, Guest!

01-01-2011, 06:47 AM | Post: #1
DogieDude1234 
*= Suggestions are being taken in the respective section

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear War Stories (Role-Playing) Newcomer,
First off, I'd like to say thank you for deciding to take a look around this little slice of heaven we call War Stories (Role-Playing). Next, I'd like to ask what in the world possessed you to take a look around here?? (Kidding) I should probably introduce myself. My name is DogieDude1234, but you may call me Dogie. I am what is known as a "writer", which you will learn about later in this guide. As for any questions you may have, please feel free to ask. Now I know this place seems a little scary and odd, but it's actually a pretty cool section of the forum. You just need a few tips and tricks to get you going, and you'll be on your way in no-time.

What is this?

War Stories (Role-Playing) is a combination of three different things: War Stories (WS), Role-Plays (RPs), and In-game stories. Here, these three things and their respective participants attempt (emphasis on attempt...) to work in some state of peace and harmony. This state of harmony became slightly harder to keep when War-Stories was merged with its equal sub-forum, Role-Playing. It was an "uncomfortable" merger to say the absolute least. However, it appears that everyone has adjusted and things are back to a state of shaky normality. So, let's take a look at what these individual parts are, shall we?

War Stories

War Stories are simply stories (yes, like books), often based on the game itself. Those who write War Stories are commonly referred to as "writers". These "War Stories" were started long ago when a certain player by the name of ProtoNoob began his epic "United We Stand!" story. In the year and a half since "United We Stand!", War Stories (Role-Playing) has seen its population of writers grow exponentially, then sadly fall. War Stories are typically started simply by the author posting the first chapter, and sign-ups coming after that. So what's the point of this part, you ask? The point is that people who enjoy writing and reading (or literature as some call it) can come together and hone their skills, while helping others do the same. Sounds pretty cool, eh? Good. Scroll down to the "Tips" section to get started.

Role-Playing

Role-Playing is a cool feature that requires just a little practice. In Role-Playing, "RPers" as they are called, essentially write a co-op story by posting what their respective character says and does in the plotline. When these "RPs" are complete, you should have one solid and interesting plotline that can even be converted into a War Story by a savvy writer/RPer. These Role-Plays are started with a simple post of the background story and what sign-up slots are needed to be filled. Role-Plays are typically set up in three stages (similar to War Stories): Discussion, Sign-Ups, and the RP. These will be explained in more detail later in this guide. Interested? To tips with you, young one.

In-game Stories

Ah, In-game Stories... the original purpose of War Stories (Role-Playing). There's really not much explaining that needs to be done on this one. It's exactly what its name suggests; Share stories you have of interesting and memorable times you've had while in-game. This has become the least frequent of the three elements of War Stories (Role-Playing), but it's still quite enjoyable.

Check out my story: A National's War Story and Join the Group!

Hey you there! Yes you! Are you an aspiring Writer or Role-Player, but don't know how to get started?
Check out this handy guide to help get you going!

I'm currently rather inactive on the forum. If you'd like to reach me, you can find me on: XFire: dogiedude1234; Steam: DogieDude; Skype: Well, you'll have to PM me for this one.

I may or may not be a member of ACE.
(This post was last modified: 25-07-2012 05:18 AM by DogieDude1234.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2011, 06:48 AM | Post: #2
DogieDude1234 
Basic Information*

Choose your faction wisely noob

Haha, kidding. What I mean to say is that you should choose which group you choose to start out in with care. Consider your interests: Do you like writing? Maybe you enjoy being a team-player? Or perhaps you have lots of experiences in-game that you want to share with the community? These are all things to consider when choosing. Can't decide? Well, you don't have to... you could do all three if you like!

Shh... I hear a troll...

Trolls. Gotta love 'em. What's a troll? Oh, just one of the most important parts of this forum... not. Trolls are the very thing that writers and RPers can put their differences aside to battle with. It's hopeless though... these trolls are here to stay, constantly invading our threads and posting countless amounts of unimportant information and attempts to start flame-wars. How do we battle them? Why, the mighty banhammer of course! Well, we don't use the banhammer, but we simply utilize our humble report buttons to alert the all-powerful community moderators of the presence of a troll. From there, the moderators travel to our distressed threads and "clean up", if you know what I mean. For ideas on how to keep your cool when troubled by a troll, and how to ask a mod nicely to check the situation out, see tips.

Gee... real popular section ya got here...

You're right... it's not as visited as some of the other parts of the forum. However, it's still cool for what it is. We're currently doing our best to restore War Stories (Role-Playing) back to what it was a long time ago. So I hope, Dear Newcomer, that you'll stick around for a while and help us with that.

But I'm too scared to start mah story!! People may laugh at it!

It's a common fear among many writers-to-be... the fear or criticism. And it's also one of the reasons many new writers pack up and leave after posting one or two chapters. They see criticism as a bad thing, when in reality it's one thing that can improve a story greatly. Assuming the criticism is given correctly (simple, constructive, and not troll-like), criticism will point you in the right direction for you to get on the path to making your story truly memorable.

So when I'm Role-Playing, I just jump in at any time right?

Sorry, but no. There are two permanent RPs (Royal and National Cafes) found under important topics which are open to anyone to join at anytime, but most other RPs require Sign-Ups to join. Missed the sign-up stage? You could try asking the original poster (who acts as the leader of the RP) if you can join late. If not, simply wait for another RP to start.

BAWUMP!

Sounds weird, eh? That's a common replacement for the word "Bump". What's a bump? A bump is when someone (usually the topic's author) posts on a thread in order to "bump" it to the top of the first page. Is there anything wrong with thread-bumping? No, but on one condition: make sure you have a good reason for the bump. No reason=WRONG=Possible forum ban if overused.

I have a REEEAAALLLYY cool In-Game story I wanna share! How do I do that?

I'm glad you asked. It's fairly simple really. First: The search function. There are several topics devoted to one or more types of In-game experiences. Does yours fit an existing topic? If it does, then great. Now look at the date of the last post. Was it a long time ago? If yes, DO NOT post on it. Whether or not your intentions were good, bumping a dead thread is seen as spam. Couldn't find a topic that fits your experience? Feel free to start a new topic then. Do your best to relay the information quickly and neatly... if it's easy to read, people will read it. Don't be discouraged if you don't get many replies, though. As I mentioned earlier, In-game stories have become the least-used part of this section.

Heh heh... here's an idiot... let's spam 'em! (Idea suggested by 8UII)

No. We've all had those urges, you know, the urge to point out the flaws of every single "slower-than-average" person we see. Is it wrong? Maybe not, but only if you do it respectively. Respect is an important part of keeping this forum running, and if you don't agree, I suggest you refer to the Forum Rules. Now that's not to say it's wrong to poke fun at someone now and again, but use judgment. If you wouldn't want twenty-some people you're not familiar with making fun of you for just trying, then don't make fun of someone else. Follow this guideline and you'll be a respected member of War Stories (Role-Playing) in no-time.

I need to contact a developer or a moderator... what do I do? (Submitted by K.U.S.T.)

You should always talk to a mod/dev in a formal manner, never in SMS or asking how they're doing. When having to contact a mod/dev, state your question or remark as your title in a formal and grammatically-correct format. Then, address them like a letter, then formally explain your request with manners. Don't go begging or pleading, and DEFINITELY don't threaten them or demand that they do something. If you have a request, it is wise to have facts to back up why your request should be granted. When talking to a mod/dev formally, act as if you are at a formal party with the mod/dev and the mod/dev is your commanding officer. You wouldn't go "hey there, bro! I need to do a little sumthin for a friend, plz!" to your commanding officer. Agree with the mod/dev unless you really have to disagree. Then, explain why you disagree in a formal manner.

Superfriends Unite! (Submitted by Annilator)

Don't be afraid to ask for help with a story if you need it. A lot of authors, especially new guys, have trouble with their stories. There are a lot of skilled writers around that do have trouble with it. Remember, you have writers who would be happy to help you out. Go to someone who knows what to do or just ask for some advice and get this show on the road! Not literally of course.

Hey you there! Yes you! Are you an aspiring Writer or Role-Player, but don't know how to get started?

I'm currently rather inactive on the forum. If you'd like to reach me, you can find me on: XFire: dogiedude1234; Steam: DogieDude; Skype: Well, you'll have to PM me for this one.

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2011 09:23 PM by DogieDude1234.)
01-01-2011, 06:49 AM | Post: #3
DogieDude1234 
Tips*
(You will get credit for your tip if it is added)

War Stories

-Learn good English, of course.

-Try to take criticism as helpful, not hurtful.

-Make sure to have a decent skill in writing. If you don't, refer to References and other Reading for some other helpful guides.

-"...though you may not be from America, people will still review your story partly due to the grammar. Too many people just say 'Oh, I'm from Brazil/China/Germany/France, so excuse my English,' but that doesn't really cut it." - Zachary0015

-"Violence and pointless gore may make a story descriptive, but finely woven plots and developed characters are what keep people reading." - Zachary0015

-KEEP STORIES IN ONE THREAD. Making another thread for a new chapter is considered spam, and can be closed.

-Make things easy to read... paragraphs are your friend.

-Troubled by a troll? The best thing for you to do is report and log off (or go play the game). That way, you'll avoid a flame-war and the problem will basically take care of itself.

-Are you an RPer? Try writing. RPing and Writing each require the creative skill you most likely already possess.

Role-Playing

-Practice in the National and Royal Cafes before attempting to join in a full Role-Play. It'll help you get your feet wet while having a bit of fun in the process.
-*Addition to last tip: (Not full quote) Read through old RPs and try to learn from them. The National and Royal Cafes can become "Spam Fests" and "Troll Heaven". -- Commander356
-**Another addition: Use the Role-playing Library and Database to read old RPs. It is currently closed, but the information is still useful.

-Be creative, but follow the rules of the Role-Play.

-When starting a Role-Play, make sure you have a good understanding of the process and are available to see it through to its end.

-On occasion, Role-Playing can get to be a bit out of hand, and a little predictable. Use "Role-Playing Cliches to Avoid" to help this.

-When you're looking to start a Role-Play, it is a good idea to read "How to make a good Role-Play." In that guide, you'll find helpful tips and tricks to make your Role-Play a success.

-Are you a writer? Try role-playing. You have the creative skill and most likely the devotion required, so all you need is a little practice. - Idea submitted by K.U.S.T.

In-game Stories

-Search old threads first... then check the date.

-Give information quickly... go into detail, but don't over-do it.

-Remember In-game stories aren't commonly posted anymore... don't be discouraged by low reply-count.

-Got a screenshot? Great! A picture's worth a thousand words... post it.

(This post was last modified: 08-04-2011 02:23 PM by DogieDude1234.)
01-01-2011, 06:50 AM | Post: #4
DogieDude1234 
Term Glossary*

Bump- A mostly unnecessary post on an old thread that brings it to the top of the front page. Interchangeable with necro or nekro.

Community Moderator- An official who moderates the forum, checking to make sure all are following the rules and not acting in an unruly manner. Holds power to deal out forum suspensions and bans and close topics. Community Moderator posts are green. Interchangeable with Mod, Com Mod, and Community Mod.

Dead Thread- A thread that has not been posted on in a long time. Bump with caution.

Developer- One who had direct relation to the creation of the game itself. Posts are recognizable as being blue with an EA logo on top. Also called Devs.

Flame-War- A large argument that commonly erupts on the forum, usually due to the posts of a troll. If you know what's good for you, you will not enter these. Let a moderator take care of the problem.

Grammar Nazi- Refers to someone who corrects a story's grammar constantly. Typically other writers. Not to be feared, take their advice as helpful... or else.

Locked Thread- A thread that has been closed by a Community Moderator. No posts can be made on locked threads. Also called a closed thread.

PM- Private message, meant to be sent so that two or more players may share information privately.

Post- A response on a thread.

RPer- One who participates in Role-Plays.

Spam- Refers to useless information that can typically lead to flame-wars and thread-closings.

Thread- A topic, posts are made on this.

Troll- Someone who enters a thread and posts useless information and usually tries to start flame-wars.

Wall of Text- Refers to a War-Story that lacks paragraphs and organization. Can be fixed fairly easily.

Writer- One who writes War Stories.

References and Other Reading*
A gigantic thank you to K.U.S.T. for taking his time to dig these links up for me.

(This post was last modified: 07-03-2011 01:44 AM by DogieDude1234.)
01-01-2011, 07:12 AM | Post: #5
DogieDude1234 
Writer/Rper Profiles
(Special thanks to Nightowl12 for these)

Nightowl12:
Stories: Shatter, I watch them bleed, Raps.
Best Subject: Spelling, Plot.
Rate 1-10: 7.
Friends: Zach, Dog, 8UII, Regulars

8UII:
Stories: RPER, Trenches to Glory
Best Subject: RP'ing, Guides, Respect
rate 1-10: 6
Friends: Most if not all Regulars

DogieDude1234: (See? I even got mah own profile! lol)
Stories/Works:Dear War Stories..., Intervention for an obsession, A nationals war story,
Respect level: 6/10
Writing skill: 6/10
Friends/Foes: Friends with most everyone, foes with trolls,
Skills: Grammar, Guides, Rock songs, Creativity,

-Still adding these... if you want your profile added, contact Nightowl12.

Featured Writers/RPers. (Updated every Friday)

Week Thirteen
7-29-2011
Tonight, for week thirteen, and the Grand Reboot of this guide, we have a very, very special guest. When in Rome, they do as he does. If he patted you on the back, you'd add it to your resume. If he kicked you in the crotch, your children would become amazing Bear-Lion Unicorn Platypus hybrids. He is, PrinceBeolion!

Beolion- I will only answer the questions I considered appropriate.

What's your name, son?

Name: King Beolion The Second

Writer? RPer? Both?
(Unanswered Question)

When did you first show up in this part of the forum?

Closed Beta

Any special tools you use for inspiration?

I am inspired by Adolf Hitler.

Would you mind describing for us what occurs in the mind of a Bear-Lion Warrior?

The mind of a Bear-Lion Warrior is a superior mind to all other beings. We seek the hunt of inferior beings to kill them. Naturally as humans we are warriors though in nature hunters. To kill one of us is an act of legend.

Who do you look up to on this forum?

I don't look up to anyone but I approve of DogieDude1234, Zachary0015, and Annilator and I hope that they wise up and join my crusade.

What would you like to see happen here on War Stories (Role-Playing)?

I would like to see all people on this forum bowing before me as they should and joining the crusade to hunt and destroy royal filth. I would like all royals with sense to join the nationals.

Do you like cats?

(Unanswered Question)

What's your favorite part of this forum?

(Unanswered Question)

Any tips for aspiring Writers/RPers?

(Unanswered Question)

Could you please give us a detailed bloodline of the Bear-Lion Warrior clan? Please start at the beginning and work down to you, Prince Beolion.

(Unanswered Question)

Any interests, dreams, aspirations, or anything else of the like?

My dream is to restore my clan to a new era more powerful than any before it and to hunt and kill royals with it.

Zachary0015 asks: "When was the last time you had a CAT scan?"

(Unanswered Question)

How is work coming with the immortality files?

The immortality files were the chemical experiments. The original goal of those chemicals that were injected into my veins were to keep my organs ever lasting and to stop my ageing process completley. However they had an adverse affect they made me weaker and changed my personality to that of a weak one a "nice" one and it had the same affects on Bane's mind from him touching the viles. The new machine Bane invented consits of 2 pods one for the doner one for the patient and the pods drain the genetics of the doner into the patient making the patient the same age as the doner but the doner dies in the process. When I grow old again I will get another doner I will live forever.

When you're not on War Stories (Role-Playing), where else can you be found? (not just on BFH)

(Unanswered Question)

Other remarks?

I am the most powerful being in the universe and anyone who trifles with me too foolishly national or royal they will eventually meet their doom.

How do you respond to remarks made by some of War Stories (Role-Playing)'s frequenters that you, all-high Prince Beolion, are but a figment of someone's sick and twisted imagination?

The Bear-Lions are three different people your assumptions are not intelligent and you are all fools. You think you are smart but in the end you are all sub-human monkeys and I am far superior.

This guide is the most awesome-est guide you've ever read, right? (Choose your answer carefully on this one)

(Unanswered Question)

When did you create the Beolion character?

(Unanswered Question)

Do you prefer Wal-Mart or K-Mart?

(Unanswered Question)

What continent are the Bear-Lions from?

(Unanswered Question)

I'd think we can all agree this was one of the greatest and most insightful interviews we've ever had. Thank you, oh great one.

Anyway, as for what's actually important... THIS GUIDE IS BACK BABY!

And to celebrate, I am adding yet another feature. Each week, after the interview, I will announce who is on tap for next week. You can then submit questions you would like to interviewee to answer!

Featured Stories/RPs

So yeah... finally a new entry. I had a request by a man by the name of K.U.S.T. who wanted his stories advertised. K.U.S.T., you'll have to refresh me on what they were called, then I'll add it... but seriously people. Read K.U.S.T.'s stories. He is (and they are) the epic win.

WARNING! WARNING! Soon, I will be out of

interviews!!!! I need sign-ups! Or bad things will

happen!!! To you... and your family!!! So sign-up

people!!! Seriously! Please!!!!

Please see this Library for all the fun, excitement, and interest of past interviews...

Note: If you would like to be interviewed, please feel free to ask. However, I would prefer if applications are sent in PM form. If you would like your story or RP featured, please PM me with a brief synopsis of the story. Thank you.

*A big thank you goes out to Michinomo for adding this guide to the important topics. Now it should give its full benefit to any newcomers.

(This post was last modified: 30-07-2011 12:51 AM by DogieDude1234.)
01-01-2011, 07:27 AM | Post: #6
Loutsik 
Approved.

(0.o)

I'm watching you
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2011 04:20 AM by Loutsik.)
01-01-2011, 07:40 AM | Post: #7
NastyMann 
Nice guide dude, I read it and it should really help out people!

I noticed a spelling mistake, you might want to fix it so then it looks more professional like XD.

Where it said I'm scared, you accidentally typo'd is to make it ascred. I hate when I accidentally do stuff like that, my biggest enemy is tot he. I HATE JOO!

Anyways, really nice guide.

[Image: QWPQc66.png]
01-01-2011, 07:43 AM | Post: #8
DogieDude1234 
Thanks Nasty, but I did that on purpose lol... I can change it if you think I should. And thank you for the nice feedback so far guys. Smile

01-01-2011, 07:44 AM | Post: #9
Annilator 
Hey Dogie, you want to be in my new story, Company of Heroes? Anyways, back on topic, I think this will actually help the newcomers really effectively.
01-01-2011, 07:45 AM | Post: #10
DogieDude1234 
Thanks man. And sure, I'll sign up. Smile

01-01-2011, 07:46 AM | Post: #11
NastyMann 
Oh.
Well.
I feel dumb.

DON'T HURT MEH PLEZ!

[Image: QWPQc66.png]
01-01-2011, 07:47 AM | Post: #12
DogieDude1234 
(01-01-2011 07:46 AM)NastyMann Wrote:  DON'T HURT MEH PLEZ!

I feel like that should be in a signature somewhere...

EDIT: On original question: you're right... it didn't fit that well. So don't feel stupid Nasty. Changed. Smile

(This post was last modified: 01-01-2011 08:52 AM by DogieDude1234.)
01-01-2011, 07:10 PM | Post: #13
Zachary0015 
Very nice, except for one minor thing: Typically stories don't go through the three stages of discussion, signups, and actual writing. They usually just start up in one topic with no prior warning. Tongue

Other than that, very nicely done.
01-01-2011, 08:30 PM | Post: #14
DogieDude1234 
Thanks Zach. And fixed. Smile

02-01-2011, 12:56 AM | Post: #15
godzillaboy100 
(01-01-2011 06:47 AM)DogieDude1234 Wrote:  War Stories are typically started simply by the author posting the first chapter, and sign-ups coming after that.

No big deal, but, I do believe sign-ups in stories only come when the writer needs help making characters. It looks like you said that stories need sign-ups when that's not the case.

This seems more like a Glossary than a Guide. Very good though.
02-01-2011, 03:25 AM | Post: #16
DogieDude1234 
Thanks godzillaboy. However, most stories do sign-ups. And yeah, I suppose it's more of a glossary, but the purpose is simplicity, providing the information as quickly and easily as possible.

02-01-2011, 03:41 AM | Post: #17
godzillaboy100 
(02-01-2011 03:25 AM)DogieDude1234 Wrote:  Thanks godzillaboy. However, most stories do sign-ups. And yeah, I suppose it's more of a glossary, but the purpose is simplicity, providing the information as quickly and easily as possible.

Yeah, the stories do. I know writers are running out of ideas, but they need to be a little more independent.
02-01-2011, 03:57 AM | Post: #18
Conhammer 
Great guide, this is coming from a new War Stories person! Definetly trying all three, but doing RPs right now.

[Image: 2]
02-01-2011, 04:01 AM | Post: #19
DogieDude1234 
(02-01-2011 03:57 AM)Conhammer Wrote:  Great guide, this is coming from a new War Stories person! Definetly trying all three, but doing RPs right now.

Glad I could help... if you ever need any assistance when you try writing, feel free to ask.

@godzillaboy: Yeah, I suppose you're right, but in a story based on the game, (which is common, but doesn't happen all the time) sometimes it's good to have actual characters in the game. It's typically hard for writers just to make up characters, so sign-ups are needed.

02-01-2011, 04:24 AM | Post: #20
Loutsik 
(01-01-2011 06:49 AM)DogieDude1234 Wrote:  Role-Playing (I need some RPers to help me out here)

Mind if I help? And please, don't give me any credit. I'm trying to keep a low profile.

(0.o)

I'm watching you