Hello There, Guest!

03-07-2010, 08:06 PM | Post: #1
TommySneak 
Intro

The purpose of this guide is to help some of you numbskulls out there write a proper, and MAYBE, enjoyable story. There are several steps you need to take before even writing the story. So listen up kids, because Tommy doesn't repeat himself.

Carpal Tunnel

When you get your 'brilliant' ideas, write them down immediately. Outline basic events you want to occur inside your story, like winning a war, or a nuclear attack, or a pizza shop the explodes on top of Mount Everest. It's your call. Wait, but it's not. NEVER go into even slight detail. This allows more room for growth and development of the story later on, as you come up with more of your 'spectacular' ideas.

Danger Close
Yeah, that's an overused Modern Warfare phrase. Anyway, come up with your plots, and make them interesting. A simple battle for a town isn't going to get anyone horny excite anyone. Adding twists like Werewolves, a new enemy, or strange powers can make some of the most cliché adventures seem brand new. At this stage, come up with majority of the plot, and some of the settings you'd like the action to happen in. But again, this is the PLOT development phase, so no going overboard on the environments just yet.

Rainbow Sprinkles
Yeah, that's an underused Bad Company phrase. Now it's time to brainstorm some of the Rainb-, I mean, locations in your story. Obviously, since this is Battlefield Heroes, the places don't have to be real, or realistic (but mind you, we're not going to wander off into MetroidDread's underwear). The possibilities are endless, but make sure they actually have a point, it's not just something you select because you think snow is awesome. Backdrops are meant to serve a minor, but important service. Rainbow-, Dammit! I meant drama.

Where is everyone
Unless your story is about how Hitler's spirit ascends from hell every Saturday to get wasted in Warsaw, then you need to populate your story. No, not with random people who say hi because if they don't, karma beasts will rip out their entrails. I mean serious people, more directly involved with all the chaos. Your characters. They can't be boring. They need to feel lifelike. And they need some sort of badass hairstyle.

They cannot be boring. Dumb characters can make good plots go bad. Spice them up, give them backgrounds, dirty little secrets and other things. Make it feel like some slob actually thought it was worth to birth this child, who happens to save the world because he runs fast and presses more buttons than Infinity Ward (ouch!).

Your character is assumed to be breathing at the beginning of your tale, so make him breathe life. Give them personality. They can be a wimp throughout the story, but the only way to make them feel truly dynamic, is for some sort of personality change. Was I always this badass? No, I transformed into this, and so should your character. Although the hair is optional.

Give your characters lackeys friends, unless he's killing pandas. Then he deserves no friends. Allies, amigos, whatever they are, they make you hero's adventure easier (or harder!) no matter where he goes. If you don't believe me, look at Nathan Drake. He's got tons of buddies, and that annoying Elena chick. Your character should too.

Congratulations. It's a concept.

Through all the crappy puns, your design has become concept. Meaning, it can actually be created into something. This part will be a little more detailed, since there are much more restrictions in this phase, but you can still express yourself. Unless you like men.

Style, Approach, and Rough Drafts
Said at its simplest, there is no one or two styles of writing. In fact, I estimate there are nearly 6,845,674,214 different writing styles in use right now. Your style is unique, so use that to your advantage. First, think of a way to start your story. Come in with a bang, or let things develop. It's all of your decision. You don't want to start off with such a rubbish intro that it's hard to get anywhere. If you feel thinkers block this early on, redo the beginning. However, if you do make it past this phase, then quit braggin', because you’re not done. Write clearly so that you can understand the plot, which can normally transfer into others understanding it as well. I have an example here, but due to the time factor (the fact that I'm just too damn lazy to write), I will use one I've already created.

I jumped out of the plane. BOOM BOOM! The anti-air guns were shooting. I was scared. We landed in the middle of the town. There were Nationals in the buildings. POW! I shot one with my gun. Then I tried to find another and got shot. It hurt. I knew I had to keep moving. My friend got shot too. He fell over. KABLOOM! A bomb hit. I fell too. I woke up and was in a hospital...

Now read this one, which is the same plot, but executed much more prettiwondertaculsomely.

I jumped out of the transport that was right over the city. The wide, green grass fields completely contrasted the white of the city. About half-way down we ran into flak, and some came so close, I sometimes thought my time was up. I was scared crap-less. When we touched down we ended up in the square, where a whole mess of Nationals were waiting for us. There was one shooting at me from a building to my right, so I pointed my gun and squeezed the trigger. He stood for a second and fell over, blood spewing on the window-sill. Looking for another chum to shoot, I myself was hit by a machine gun that had most of us pinned down. Charlie, a good buddy, got gunned down by the same guy. I was about to cry when a bomb landed and knocked me over. I was out cold for over an hour, and woke up somewhere in a field hospital...

Which one gave you a more vivid picture. If you say the first one, I have four words for you. G-T-F-O. Otherwise, you are not as dumb as you look, and may move on.

Approaching your writing properly is important. This is where tense, POV, and all that other shiny bullcrap comes into play. Knowing what tense it is going to be, can allow various degrees things to occur. For example, past allows you to recall events and can allow you to (intentionally) omit some parts for an undertone of mystery to go with your story. This can also be done in present tense, as your character can be misinformed or even uninformed, creating the same mysterious feeling and have some occurrences come as a surprise to you protagonist.

POV (Point of View) is also important. Instead of annoying jokes, which you are probably thankful you haven't seen in an entire paragraph, I will simply tell you what each is, and what it can do.
  • First Person: You only know your own thoughts and only remember information you know. Being under informed may cause an event to come as a surprise to you.
  • Third Person Limited: Very similar to first person, but you know the thoughts of more than one character. You do not know everything, but significantly more than first person.
  • Third Person Omniscient: You are god. You are all knowing. Even Chuck Norris bows to your supremacy.

We're on the air in 3...
It's time to make some last minute changes to your tale before you begin to write. If your main dude's hair is a little to badass, tone it down with a cute pink bow, or hairspray. Make small tweaks in all three main areas, the environment, your cast, and your plot. If Robert's dad is an alcoholic, stranded on the Rockies, trying to find a can a Bud that is actually at the top, and this doesn't sound appealing to you, it's too late, and you'll need to start over. But If it's about Roberts alcoholic dad being drafted and having to get over his obsession of beer in boot camp, and it sounds at least 3 star worthy, making minor fixes can bump it up to four, or even five star quality. After this, the pen is ready for the paper, unless he's still in the bathroom of course.

Lord knows the pen is mightier than the sword
This is where the sh*t can hit the fan, or just slightly miss it and exit through the air vent instead. Point being, this is your moment of truth. The only way to prove yourself, is to piece everything you've done up to this point into a story. Correction, a good story.

Prepare for takeoff
Appeal. You have to drag your reader into your story, and I don't mean dragging the into a dark alley and bludgeoning them with a random wooden club you found. I'm talking about that thing that identifies your post in the forum. It's called your title, and make sure it's a fine damn title, Private.

There much more into making a title than you think. First of all, think about the general topic of your story. If it's about little Robert's dad, who has to overcome an alcohol addiction after being drafted to war, then we could name the story "Breaking Loose". Why? The general topic is about a young boy's dad, who has a unhealthy addiction to alcohol. When he is drafted, he must give up the booze, but has a tough time doing so. Obviously, it's not the best title, but it could give someone and idea what you're talking about, (in this case, no, that title is just too damn misleading.)

Mom, Phineas and Ferb are making a title sequence!
Intro, prologue, exposition, whatever the hell you decide the call 'em, they're are the same thing, and despite scientific evidence against it, this IS the most important part of your story. Without a good introduction, people won't read the rest of your story. Try to place most of exposition in a about a post worth of writing. There is no real order to doing this, but one I find helpful is to introduce the characters and setting first, and minimal plot.
Doing makes the story flow better, and when you get into the core of your story, your reader will have more of a “What’s going to happen next?” sensation.

“You are dead, not big surprise.”
Keeping your reader interested is almost as important as bludg-, uhh, getting their attention. Having an amazing intro, and then a terrible body and horrid conclusion will make no one come near your stories, in fear of contracting SQUAIDS. It’s some serious stuff. Ensure the body of your story is more entertaining than the intro so your reader stay interested all the way through. Don’t make it redundant and predictable, and also make sure not to make it redundant and predictable. *witty joke here* Keep things fresh by introducing new characters (at appropriate times), or change the scenery up a little bit, or introduce some sort messed up plot twist that will keep the reader on his/her/its chair. And make sure he shaves his badass hair. It’ll make ‘em weep.

Stairway to Heaven
When all the duels have been dueled and the dust settles, you need to put an end to things. Conclusions should be short-ish and sweet-ish, and cliffhangering is okay, but overdoing will make it seem more like a big plot hole (NPI) than a conclusion. In a conclusion, there should be no twist (unless you plan a sequel), no serious action (unless it involves the protagonist’s victory, defeat, etc.), and no more introducing (which really should’ve stopped a long time ago.) After that, you should have a decent conclusion.

All over again
Sequels. Are. Not. Essential. SANE. Now you know. But if you want to do one anyway, go ahead and fail try. Unless Robert didn’t over come his alcohol problem, a sequel isn’t needed. Introducing a new conflict is great and all, but if it doesn‘t go along well with the first, which is what most, if not all, will compare it to, sequels should be left alone. Since a sequel is such a broad topic, I’ll leave to you to figure out what you want to do, but remember to follow the writing tips!

Get ya’ fresh story here!
Advertising is a great way to get your story known if things aren’t going your way. There is much more to advertising than fancy colors and bold phrases and boobs. All that needs purpose, unlike you. The words, colors, and effects you choose need to mean something and add a dimension to it. This is another one of those broad topics that really can’t be discussed very specifically. Some decisions will have to be made on your own.

Closure
Now that you’ve withstood and endless barrage of jokes, puns, and general stupidity, you can properly create an entertaining and engaging story, worthy of being turned into a novel (don’t do it though, no one will read it). And on a serious note, balls. On a seriously serious note, thank you for taking the time out of your day to be tortured into a new writer. I hope this guide helps you on your journey. And all the jokes and puns and silliness is meant to be taken lightly (except the IW comment, I meant that.) If there are any more useless tips you can come up with, please write them below. Thanks again,

-TommySneak

Don’t rat me on any grammar errors, this takes up seven pages in my word processor. In size seven font.

[Image: imager.php?id=940216&t=o]

dhen. Wrote:"come on in boy" said a hairy man who looked like he was in his 30's.

TommySneak has edited this because he makes his signature as large as he f**king wants. (This post was last modified: 21-11-2010 04:48 PM by TommySneak.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2010, 08:23 PM | Post: #2
ale_47 
Very nice guide Smile

[Image: 9480_s.gif]

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2010 08:26 PM by ale_47.)
03-07-2010, 08:40 PM | Post: #3
Zachary0015 
Very nice guide, except you forgot to mention how we Grammar Nazis will come and harrass you if you don't do correct grammar. XD
03-07-2010, 08:44 PM | Post: #4
TommySneak 
Funny thing Grammar Hitler, I was actually planning on adding a section about [edit]us.[/edit]
(This post was last modified: 19-07-2010 10:37 PM by TommySneak.)
03-07-2010, 11:06 PM | Post: #5
CapitalistMan 
Very nice guide, this helped me alot. Big Grin
03-07-2010, 11:20 PM | Post: #6
MetroidDread 
Damn, you pipped me to the post Wink

I'm gonna go ahead and post mine later anyway Smile

[Image: TBaMR.png]
04-07-2010, 12:44 AM | Post: #7
Zachary0015 
(03-07-2010 08:44 PM)TommySneak Wrote:  Funny thing Grammar Hitler, I was actually planning on adding a section about them.

Doooo it! Doooooo it!
19-07-2010, 10:35 PM | Post: #8
TommySneak 
I bumped this thread just for Gho2t, or whatever the hell his name is.

[Image: imager.php?id=940216&t=o]

dhen. Wrote:"come on in boy" said a hairy man who looked like he was in his 30's.

TommySneak has edited this because he makes his signature as large as he f**king wants.
20-07-2010, 03:20 AM | Post: #9
Beolion
Maybe this will stop people from making nonsense threads good thinking TommySneak. Ps everyone check out Armageddon The Return Of Beolion chapter 9 out!
20-07-2010, 03:46 AM | Post: #10
Gho2t993 
(03-07-2010 08:40 PM)Zachary0015 Wrote:  Very nice guide, except you forgot to mention how we Grammar Nazis will come and harrass you if you don't do correct grammar. XD

u get ban .

[Image: 2i8ho5e.gif]
20-07-2010, 03:49 AM | Post: #11
Beolion
You will get a ban the mods know about the grammer nazis why do you even use this forum no one likes you and you cant speak english lol.
20-07-2010, 07:47 AM | Post: #12
zhongsifu 
(20-07-2010 03:46 AM)Gho2t993 Wrote:  
(03-07-2010 08:40 PM)Zachary0015 Wrote:  Very nice guide, except you forgot to mention how we Grammar Nazis will come and harrass you if you don't do correct grammar. XD

u get ban .

I lol'd.

Royal Army Anthem
(12-06-2010 06:21 PM)CanadianBoy Wrote:  (Sorry, but we're likely to be recognized as "Grammar Jews" in the near future.)
(26-09-2010 04:15 AM)YCheez Wrote:  I, KING, of cheezland, award you the medal of lulz
Infantry Assault Map! Sign now! Name needed!
Snow Map! Sign now! Name needed!
21-07-2010, 01:23 AM | Post: #13
Zachary0015 
(20-07-2010 03:46 AM)Gho2t993 Wrote:  

u get ban .

[Image: facepalm-face-palm-facepalm-demotivational-poster.jpg]
21-07-2010, 01:28 AM | Post: #14
8U 
Gho2t needs to learn English where ever the hell he came from... Hopefully he reads the first post and writes like a professional... Which I doubt.

[Image: 7]

2nd-In-Command of:
The Royal Army Rangers
http://www.battlefieldheroes.com/en/groups/69453
[Image: badge.jpg]

"Professionals have standards. Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
05-08-2010, 02:54 AM | Post: #15
TommySneak 
Appeal (Copied and Pasted from RP, for all those idiots.)

To even have a great time RPing, you need to try to pull people in with your titles. Something boring like "Battle for the- " is probably not going to attract to many people. Instead, be original and try to sum up what you want your title to be in four or less words (Unless you are using an extended proper noun).

Make you story original as well. Don't do your stereotypical battle in the town, but take on a new approach, like a fight for a rock, or maybe a rescue or something along those lines. When you introduce the story, don't make it boring. The best approach to keep your potential roleplayers reading is to make up some sort of history. Not only can you let your imagination run free, but this way, you can incorporate previous successful Roleplay threads. It'll seem like one big campaign, and story geezers could come flocking in to your thread, wondering what's going to happen next.

When the story starts, unless you are a gifted wirter, try not to jump into the action. As boring and dumb as it may seem, it adds an entire element that wouldn't otherwise be there; maybe start a few hours before the mission is to take place. If you do decide to introduce the scenario in the midst of battle, then stay away from making really choppy statements and make sure you are adding lots of details. Also NO onomatopoeia (Word sounds like SPLASH or POW, it makes the story seem very childish). Try to explain exactly what is going on. Instead of saying:

I jumped out of the plane. BOOM BOOM! The anti-air guns were shooting. I was scared. We landed in the middle of the town. There were Nationals in the buildings. POW! I shot one with my gun. Then I tried to find another and got shot. It hurt. I knew I had to keep moving. My friend got shot too. He fell over. KABLOOM! A bomb hit. I fell too. I woke up and was in a hospital...

Write:

I jumped out of the transport that was right over the city. The wide, green grass fields completely contrasted the white of the city. About half-way down we ran into flak, and some came so close, I sometimes thought my time was up. I was scared crap-less. When we touched down we ended up in the square, where a whole mess of Nationals were waiting for us. There was one shooting at me from a building to my right, so I pointed my gun and squeezed the trigger. He stood for a second and fell over, blood spewing on the window-sill. Looking for another chum to shoot, I myself was hit by a machine gun that had most of us pinned down. Charlie, a good buddy, got gunned down by the same guy. I was about to cry when a bomb landed and knocked me over. I was out cold for over an hour, and woke up somewhere in a field hospital...

It helps to better paint a picture for the reader, since they can't see what's going on in your head. Be careful not to add too much detail however, as you can make the most exciting parts sound dull.

Progression

The story must go on right? Just assure it isn't going along too fast, or too slow. Don't battle for three posts and then skip over to next year because you're bored, or can't think of much else to write. But don't describe every little action you take, because some details can be left out, and your post will still be worthy. We don't need to know that 14 bullets whizzed by you head, but we'd like to know if you were hit or not.

Make sure you clarify if your going to make a major change in your character's position, (like going to another city) and don't just all of a sudden start talking about Cheeseburger Town when you were just in Fryville. However, don't make it stick out by referencing it all the time, as I'm sure they got it the first 700 times you wrote it.

Know Your Role [Character]

Everybody loves Jadolf Bitler with his 550 million kills, but if he starts out as a private, don't give him command of the universe. As demeaning as playing the small guy may seem, you can have alot of fun without telling your squad "Simon says, do the disco." It also saves you the work of having to put up with those nasty generals, and how everything, in the end, always boils down to Rock, Paper, Scissors with them.

Know Your Role [Role-playing]

Yeah, the guy behind Jadolf Bitler needs to know his place in the RP food chain as well. There are the creators, who basically act as your mom on their thread, and can condemn you to your room anytime they please. OBEY THESE GUYS! They are the one's who made this "Ttly awsum super 3p1c" thread, so respect whatever they have to say. If they say you can only have two things, don't pick three. If they say they can only do a certain function, don't do it yourself. DO NOT control the events of the story by killing a PC without their persmission, or going all "2 weeks later", when they could have some sort of awesome suprise in store, that was due to happen in their next post. Stay in your place and worry about yourself. It is the creator's job to advance the story, create the story, describe the locations, et cetera.

Second Time Around

Sequels should never be created unless your thread was truly successful. Otherwise create a new story, with a new character, in a new conflict. Expand you horizons! Make stories that you find entertaining. Chances are, a few other people will too!

"Wait, there's another?" -Sequels

When you make sequels, you don't really have to create a new story, unless you do things horror movie style, and the main characters are never the same. You can keep your old characters, old maps, and even old toenails. But one thing that will have to change is your plot and story. It doesn't have to differ a whole lot, but enough to keep things fresh. The advantage with sequels is that geezers from the original will storm in like it's D-Day, and you'll also attract a new crowd.

Boundaries

Just because you're foruming on the Battlefield Heroes website, doesn't mean everything has to be orientated this way. You can write about actual WWII battles if you'd like! You can mix the two as well. It allows for a more diverse experince for you and your fellow RPers.

Visual Accesories

Maps, drawings, diagrams, ANYTHING you can use to help better convey your story! Draw maps to show everyone scenery without saying a word! Show what your soldier looks like for future reference, even describe how a battle is or has taken place, but only 5 uses per purchase though! And they cost a ton of VP.

That's really all the tips I can think, but if you think I missed any, PM me, or tell me right here on this thread. But I probably won't pay attention to your stupid suggestions. No, I won't include the fact you must have decent grammar, and it's best not to piss people off on these threads. Things can get hairy.

Just kidding. Have fun Role-playing! And please excuse spelling errors, it's hard to catch them as I write.

-TommySneak
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2010 02:57 AM by TommySneak.)
18-09-2010, 03:05 AM | Post: #16
TommySneak 
I made front page. What they hey?
21-09-2010, 12:46 AM | Post: #17
K.U.S.T. 
Hey Tommy, I added your guide with mine Big Grin!

Cheers!
-The Kingdom of the United Sectors of Terra

Xfire: the1real1kust | Steam: blackmesaind

21-11-2010, 04:37 PM | Post: #18
TommySneak 
Dis. Guide. Be. BUMP!
21-11-2010, 06:58 PM | Post: #19
Loutsik